Tuesday, November 08, 2005

It Has Started!


Day 28
It has started! The first of the weight increasing holiday meals which are built, subtly into the day’s events. Today is Council meeting and it is catered and it is good. I had smaller portions of the Thanksgiving staples: turkey, ham, mashed potatoes and gravy. I did forgo the deserts. The deserts looked good but not worth my effort of trying to juggle a full plate and push my wheelchair at the same time. There is just too much risk of making a mess. My goal for the next two month is to eat just smaller portions and try to be more active. I know this can be done I just have to be stronger. I know in the next six weeks I have five holiday dinners or lunches, at least three holiday open houses(work related) where rich food is served and two where liquors and wines are served. I have dodged these last two open houses the past couple of years by am compelled this year just for “community out reach”.

It’s the nature of our phone line to help the callers many times we are called to go beyond just giving s phone number of program descriptions—many times we have to do actually research for the caller. Invariably, these grateful consumers seem compelled send or bring us cookies, candies, nuts or high caloric holiday offering. Now, I guess legally there is some question about State public servants receiving gifts and who is going to bus a grateful consumer for thanking her Information and Referral (I&R) operator. And secondly what State “Scrooge” is going to bust a diligent State worker at Christmas?

I can fight the caloric onslaught but I know I will loose the battle. I can be angry at no one in particular being cynical and dark and ruining others holiday spirit by my negativity but I shall choose not to be so. I will choose to be more adult, own my decisions and keep giant portions of food off my plate and pallet. Even though I am in a wheelchair and have limited ability to exercise; I can choose to do something, anything, physical, and burn off some of the celebratory intake. Maybe this year I will be my own Christmas miracle. I will enjoy each and every meal in moderation, and be truly thankful for my “gifts of life, health, family, employment, ability to serve and enjoy presents”. Whew, that was weird I was beginning to feel like I was lost in a Hallmark card. I must not have gotten enough sugar. It sounds like the meeting is beginning to break up. If I am quick and stealth like I can snag a left over pie or something. Moderation, moderation, MODERATION! How many moderations makes a binge? Are cookies wrapped in napkins stuffed in your drawers, bad? Pumpkin pie slices do not travel well in backpacks and punch never lasts till you get home —they are breaking up in the next room I am off questing sugar.

No comments: