Saturday, June 21, 2008

No Small Miracles

I know two weeks ago I was bitchin and complaining about he cold wet Spring and now I am focused on how hot this summer is turning out to be. I just back from my weekly foray to the market and man! It’s hot out there. I’ll tell you more about that in just a moment.

I am sure you all noticed yesterday that I did not post. I was out of the office most of the day. I had to man a table at an information traumatic brain injury fair up at the Veterans Administration. This event went to 3:00 and by the time I got back to the office I was too hot and busy return report on the event and returning phone calls, I just did not have the energy or the brain power to write. Actually an information fair is not bad duty for a Friday except when I don’t have phone coverage but the event being on a Friday means there are few calls to worry about. I think I had only five or six calls to worry about and most of those were folks were long gone by the time I had got back to the office.

I think I have rattled on before about accessible bathrooms and public bathrooms. You know there may be five strolls and one which is designated and built accessible and if I come charging into the john really needing to go every bathroom will be empty except the accessible stall and some fart will be in there reading the paper or what ever—and that guy IS NOT disabled at least not in a chair, really for which these stalls were designed. So yesterday when I went zooming into the bathroom at the VA the stall was open…I mean really open the door had been removed entirely and there was someone next door in the smaller stall. I have to admit I was pleased if not a bit chagrined. I doubt if the door had been removed for the purpose of making an option so unattractive no one want a little privacy would ever consider using the accessible stall unless they had too. The accessible stall faces the door entering the main bathroom so anyone who happened to be loitering round the door when the door opened would get a great view of anyone who using the connivance . you just cannot win, still a small price to pay for having the toilet available when one needs to use it.

I varied from my usual purchase this week. The heat made me linger in the Frozen Food section and as I sat there chillin I spotted ice cream ! Ice cream would be perfect for hot summer nights—root beet floats, or milkshakes…perfect. So I grabbed the next person passing and had them had me a half gallon of Neapolitan I purposely selected this item last since once I left the Frozen Foods I was running a race with heat of the day and how fast I could get my stuff home and especially the ice cream into the freezer. I breezed through the check stand slowed only by a new employee who I think might have been a little DD but when I got to the van some one had pulled their designated vehicle so far into my parking place my doors would just open bur the lift would not deploy. This vehicle was a truck driven by an old guy a little tuck, backed way I into my parking space. I SHOULD HAVE yelled the guy to come back and move his truck. I didn’t. I just sat out there and waited in the 90 degree heat and thought about my ice cream returning the ingredient fro which it was froze. I had a long time to study the little truck which was stuffed with bread, vegetables and old fruit. I was sitting there when the old guy finally came out with two baskets of bread, I threw him my worst guilty look I could muster but I was welting fast as was my ice cream turns out the old guy was a collecting food for our homeless mission. What could I say? I smiled and let him graciously leave.

When I DID get home I was amazed to see my ice cream was still intact! Perhaps this was a day for a small miracle.

No comments: