Saturday, November 29, 2008

New Treads

So this morning I had my appointment with my durable medical equipment vendor who is also my support group for mechanical issues with my power chair for the replacement of my mid-wheels. I figured that since I was there I would toss the other issues I have had this week at the techs and see if they could give me some direction. You have to dump on the techs this way cause their time is so limited or demanded.

I got to Magic rest a few minutes before my appointment, and the time the place opened for business. What is weird is that these kind of places will leave their phones ‘turned off’ until their advertized time is at hand. I must have arrived at the shop about 9:50 a.m. The techs were there I could see them moving round in the store. But each time I called all I got was the recording letting me know there closed and their ‘normal’ business hours.
And sure enough, exactly at 10:00 the head tech turned the phones on and I got hold of as technician. I like to do this—I then have the technician come out to the van and collect my chair and let them work on the machine while I sit in relative comfort of my van. Really, it just easier this way . Years ago, when I was pounds lighter and much more agile I would never have a problem jumping out of my chair but is an entirely different story. So the came out and drove my chair into the shop and an hour later I was on my way and $160.00 poorer. The rest of the bad news included that I have a hole in my right motor which is the reason for the “chattering I have been experience the last could of weeks, plus with the motor running low on oil, the motor heats up and the chair shuts itself off until the motor cools down. Plus the cord which connects my controller to the drivers needs to be replaced. The motor, if I should need to replace could run as high as $1,500.00 and a $130.00 for cord. I am going to have to check with the head tech on Monday and see what they can do. There is a possibility of getting a rebuilt motor at maybe half price or something but now I really need to move forward with getting a new chair with the items and features I need. My sales guy has been out of the office all over the holiday but should be back in the office on Monday so no now I have to put the heat on. For the time being I have new tread on my wheels and kind of knowledge of what is wrong with the chair and that even if the chair strands me. If I am patient the chair motors will cool down and I will be able to continue on my way.

No comments: