Thursday, February 01, 2018

Now The Rest Of The Story


I'm confused. I'm totally confused. But more on that later. I kind of left you all hanging after I got home from having to be pushed, in my power chair in freewheel, to numerous busstop's and finally home to my backup power chair.

I am totally thankful for this backup power chair. Seriously, if I did not have this chair, the backup, I would be relegated to pushing myself in my manual chair. I've done this, I can do this but I sure as hell do not want to. So, I force myself to use the backup chair that I got from CREATE when I needed a backup chair a number of years ago. CREATE is a great corporate, CREATE does great work but, they can only sell you what they. But I got was a almost new Quantum 6000 Z. The only problem was that chair, the seat of the chair, his way large for me. This causes all kinds of discomfort from touching nerves in my back, because the width of the chair I have no support and therefore slump over terribly. The foot pedals of the chair are too narrow I need to have a box with sites that I'm used to now, I do not care how ugly the box looks. I can barely keep my feet on the foot plates and I tend to slide out of the chair even with my seatbelt cinched as far as I can pull it to tighten the belt. Perhaps the worst consequence of having to use this backup chair is how I end up sitting on my butt parts causing skin breakdown. I have to resolve these issues soon.

8:45 PM and I get a call from the driver from the wheelchair shop saying he would be in my neighborhood and 30 minutes. The night was warm for February but I met the driver at the lobby of the complex. A slight build Hispanic fellow very nice but questionable as a wrangler for quantum 6000 C. I cannot believe the shop sent him out along without a lift on his vehicle. It was frighteningly comical trying to see this guy load the chair and the van.

I got the impression they would “eyeball” my chair first thing in the morning but I held up calling as long as I could. Finally, about midmorning I placed a call and of course no one had looked at my chair. Later on in the day I was finally contacted and they told me they can find nothing wrong with my chair. I asked them did that mean that chair was functional when they look at it and they said that essentially yes it was. I do not understand that specially since Juan had such a problem loading the chair because that right motor did not work. The technician did tell me that they did find a wire that had melted and they replaced this wire with one they had laid around the shop. They sent the “repaired” back the next day with the caveat we did not charge you but keep an eye on the chair and should you have problems again we will have to replace both motors. This would be a cost of more than $3000! I hope if this does happen that insurance will cover the cost. The technician seemed to think there would be no problem.


So there you have it I am riding a time bomb. Nothing has been repaired and something surely caused that wire to melt. This means it is only a matter of time before that motor goes again. I am resolved however to ride the problem out. I plan to carry my cell phone with me at all times and when that motor goes on I am calling the fire department or the police department or whoever or whatever it takes to get home to my bad ass backed chair.

No comments: