Saturday, March 02, 2019

My Buddy Kelly


 Justin Dart Jr
My Buddy Kelly Buckland
One great Leg Bag



This is my buddy Kelly Buckland. I have known Kelly 50 some years. Kelly broke his neck just a little bit after I did back in the middle 60s. I don't remember if I knew Kelly in rehabilitation, I don't think so it was after that I met Kelly Buckland in Boise so many years ago. I first met Kelly but also in wheelchair vans Breakaway Inc. I was trying to survive on commission sales, that's what I was selling wheelchair vans in the whole concept of wheelchair vans was pretty new And it was kind of a hard sell. Actually looking back, it should been an easy sell but I didn't have much confidence than our support so anyway I was selling anything To do with disability with the hopes that I would earn commissions at the end of the month to survive to the next.

I just begun repping a new leg bag, a brown rubber, latex bag, urine receptacle that can be used over and over. The bag was sold by an outfit called Urocare. This urinary collective device was kind of cutting-edge in fact the bag is still around today but Kelly is the Only one I know who ever purchased one. Up until that point, as far as I know, people were using just regular wear plastic for leg bags. That's what I used seems like they cost something like two one half dollars a bag and I use mine over and over but after a couple months it would invariably spring a leak and have to be replaced. Latex bag I sold Kelly lasted many years from what I was to learn later.

I was intrigued a number of years later when I was working for the Utah independent living center that I found out that Kelly was the executive director for the independent living center in Boise. I couldn't believe it. I don't quite remember how Kelly “twisted” but Kelly was a pretty high quadriplegic. Seems like you is from southeastern Idaho somewhere in farm country. Imagine my later shock when I find that Kelly no longer directed the independent living Center in Boise But had risen to the executive directorship of the National Council Of Independent Living Centers or NCILCs pronounced “nickel”. Now, I'm totally blown away. I wish I knew the story how he did it. Went from director of little Boise independent living center to directing The national agency representing all the independent living centers of the United States of America. Kelly has developed a look of I'm not sure what. Cowboy boots and a big old cowboy hat. He seems to be wearing this outfit everywhere these days. I know he can dress up fine and dandy enough to pass in the Washington DC environment but he chooses to really look the part of rural America. Interestingly, one of the great leaders of the independent living movement was a survivor of the great polio epidemics of the 40s and 50s, Justin Dart Jr. were a similar outfit.

Whatever, Kelly's rationale for his Ranger appearance I support him in all his efforts to bring about a more independent and accessible USA.

No comments: