Friday, December 09, 2005

Typical


Typical

1951 image of my hard working Dad

I should really know better then to think I will be able to take Annual and enjoy the vacation. I of course am sick. I am sure I the same disease process which has been running round the office and home. I believe I held off the malaise very well. I have it now though so bad that I missed a Christmas party with the Russians last night and blogging yesterday. I seem to be oK in the morning but as the day wanders on I tend to deteriorate. I was out in the sever cold yesterday too and I sure that has something to do with the deterioration. Oh well, I m just going to have to eat my peppers, Vitamin C and use the Essential oils and hope for a swift passage.

I actually did Christmas shopping yesterday. I got the kids who are out of town gifts. I am so shamed that I sank to the level of gift cards but the holiday deadline is coming so fast I cannot get all in I need o do—even with the extra time I ‘m taking this year. GIFT CARDS, the gift from someone to lazy to input the shopping effort; that’s what I did though—gift cards from Target. Sometimes I just disgust myself.

Now, I just have to get the cards mailed out and I think I can do that. I have to get gifts for those fam and friends close by included but not limited to, fam, work associates, neighbors (usually some sort of food stuff). I am holding off though till my buddy pays me some money for the website. This is cool though. I am just glad he can pay. I am only invoicing once this year and it’s all going to be for Christmas.

Speaking of Christmas, what would I like for Christmas. The kids always ask me, just like I used to ask my folks…I could never figure out what they might like to get. Money was always an issue to. So we always defaulted to socks and handkerchiefs , belts or what ever mom indicated would be a decent “dad” gift. I would like to get a “ feeling” of Christmas. Anything which give me a feeling like a scene from Holiday Inn or The Sound of Music. I would like something magically to take me back to 1969, when a couple of years after my accident my older brother cruised me round Boise on Chrismas Eve in his Mustang 2+2 just before he “elected” to go to Viet Nam. The other night Dianne asked me what was my favorite Christmas morning, I had to tell her none of them. This sounds crude but I always seemed to be disappointed with the gifts they got. Mom tried so hard but we were a large family with little money. We had food, warm place to live and family and that is what I remember. Although I was not consciously aware of those values then. Christmas happiness for me was Christmas vacation, sleepovers with friends and cousins and endless games of Finance. For the longest time we actually had a potbelly stove which we would play these games round as our socks dried from being soaked from ice skating or hunting. So Christmas happiness for me is the concept of Christmas, looking for the miracle and enjoying the extra special food, friends and family which comes with the holiday. Now if I can just get healthy I will have it made.

1 comment:

riptideselkie said...

I'm coming to belive in Gift Cards more and more. Maybe because in one way if i get cash i always feel i have to use it responsibly, where as a gift card can only be used at a specific place so in a way i feel better about spending it on things i actually want. I know a lot of people feel it's impersonal and lazy , but really i've yet to meet the person that doesn't like getting a gift card. The trick i think is finding gift cards to places you know the person likes shopping at.
Christmas mornings.. wow i just have tons of pics mom took when i was a kid of christmas morning. No single morning sticks out in my mind. I guess really the most memorable was the year i was finally old enough to help with the "santa" visit. Mostly for holidays the best thing i remember were all the family get togethers, and hot cocoa after snow.