Monday, February 05, 2007

Double Exposure



Weekend papers in the office on Monday a.

My life is so weird. I finally got some time and energy yesterday so I decided I would see what I could do about getting my printer functional. I spent a couple of hours cleaning round my lap top in hopes I would find the receipts I have of the machines purchase. But no luck . When I called a couple of weeks ago the person I had spoken with said to come in and maybe they could find the electronic receipt by scanning my debit card.

When I got to CompuUSA the store seemed nearly empty. I did my “roll-round” to check out what’s new then zeroed on the Customer Service desk. Where three teenagers were staring off into space, I approached the first young cashier told that I needed her to look up my purchase history so I could see if I had purchased the service package on my printer. The poor thing just stared at me like I was from another planet and speaking high level German. She finally held up one finger and back away and returned a few seconds later with Ned the Manager. Ned was ‘one’ of the floor managers and aske3d how her might help me. Now Ned was just a few years older then the front end staff but he had a white shirt and tie and an attitude of “full customer service”

Ned explained me that if I had a debit card we could start there and see what “pops up”. Ned further explained this was the easiest way to approach this problem. But, as is my luck nothing “popped up”. Ned finally asked for my phone number, which I thought Ned should have done from the first. And sure enough a service contract surfaced, pay dirt! But get this, there was no history of the printer but the service contract was for my Nikon digital that I had dropped a couple of weeks ago and broke, the very same camera that I replaced a couple of weeks ago. Asll of the sudden my printer was my second priority. I had totally forgotten I had purchased a service contract, for two years! It turns all I had to have done was to drop my camera off at the Service Desk. Oh no not me, I just bought a whole new camera. So now I will have two working cameras hopefully.

Later in the day Mark A and Jasmine came by. Mark A had indicted he would drop by sometime during the weekend and look at my printer. Mark A did something to the printer and sure enough it jumped into action. He does not know what he did but he did something—he says I did it but I doubt I had anything to do with it. But the printer works now. So I don’t have to fix the computer nor do I have to replace the computer. Now I just have to shepherd the warranty work through. And I can do that. Then Dianne told me the other HP-printer was not working so this is my next challenge. Actually this printer I have had for a couple of years and it’s time to move up in my computer world. I am ready to replace the computer with a new HP Office jet 5610. scans, prints and is a fax—I do not need a fax but the other two would be nice.

No comments: