Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Because A Writer Writes


I have forever seen myself a writer,I would have been a great even a good writer but I cannot claim an honor as great as that but I continue to try to write. I will never be a real writer, a writer of stories or books, like Stephen King, I do not have the patience or commitment which is too bad. I have something to say I just can't do it. I have tried and tried. I have landed on the blog thing which lets me write and even publish as much as I want whenever I want. I have over a thousand posts actually almost two thousand. Each post usually 500 words or more,a couple have been less, but I have shot for at least 500 his proves to me I could write books and I probably have in another world or reality.

Then a number of years ago I committed to writing my mom and a very good friend a letter every week. Mom and Mack had just been placed into nursing homes and I wanted them to have something to look forward to and more then that to know they were not forgotten. I wrote faithfully until each died and about that time son, Mark went on his mission, then my nephew left for his mission—these two I wrote monthly. The only senior I am now writing monthly is my mother-in-law, who still lives independently in Louisiana.

Then a couple of years ago I discovered I had grandchildren who were learning to read and a light went on, write the grand-kids monthly and their mother, my daughter, each grand daughter getting their own envelope and letter. A few months ago two of my older granddaughters were called on missions and now I am writing to them. I try to get these letters out the first week of the month. Sometimes I fail but I get the letters out eventually.

I went into these projects with no expectation of getting any kind of recognition or expectation of getting any letters in return. It would be nice but that was not my reason. I wanted to make a link with my grand kids who are not close to me. I want to write and have these kids understand the mechanics of the postal service and having people care for them long distance. And lately I have started getting letters, real letters for the little girls and now the missionaries, all letters are adorable and welcome and head for the refrigerator.


So I am not a great writer. I have written a play or two, one novel the manuscript was lost in a divorce battle and now I blog and write letters many many letters, but I write. I try to write something daily because a writer writes.

No comments: