Friday, August 03, 2018

Manilla Envelopes



Today was my re-certification day. I don't know if it's a drawback but every year I must re-certify my qualifications for living and senior housing. Senior housing is a federal definition of housing for individuals 55 or older who qualify. Like everything federal qualification meanly dictated by financial guidelines. I really wasn't too worried about re-certification this year – – last year I was really freaked out worrying that might be asked to leave because something may have changed. The last few was a piece of cake, and this year my income did not increase but my medical/dental did significantly due to some emergency dental I had done last September.

A couple weeks ago when I came home from being out and about there was a manila envelope attached to my door. The envelope looked official. I hate manila envelopes showing up on my door from the management office. It's never good news. Since the envelope showed up at the beginning of the holiday weekend I put into effect my holiday/weekend envelope clause, Said envelope cannot be opened until the first business day following holiday or weekend. My reasoning is if the envelope holds bad news nothing can be done until the first working day of the next week or day after the holiday. Since nothing can be done till then the envelope might as well just be left alone, So I left it there clamps to my door. I actually thought the document was information concerning some repair work that is going to be done to my apartment still nothing can be done until next Monday so I let it ride.

When I finally did open the envelope the beginning of this week I saw it was notification of my timeslot for recertification. Today, Friday at 11:00 AM. It's for the certification I would need to bring it proof of payment for anything dental/medical. I need to hustle to get this material sometime for the meeting. I was still not to threaten by the certification. I just have to let them know I was talking to people to get the information together. I have a meeting this morning. I was a little late because I had a late breakfast with a friend of mine. Last night I filled out the documents I needed and gathered the one proof of payment statement I'd gotten from me dentist. The meeting I had with Jennifer, the manager of the apartments was good. I got a couple assignments I have to follow-up with but basically I am done.

I wonder if I had opened up the envelope the first night it showed up on my door would I have reacted differently. Would I have made contact with my different health providers and got the documentation and had a nice little packet to hand in ?. I don't know I like to think that I would've. But somewhere in the deep recesses of my mind I think I would just fretted an let the document with my holiday weekend. The document would've laid on my kitchen table all weekend and intimidate me. I think I did everything just right.

No comments: