Sunday, August 12, 2018

"Number Please"



I think it's so strange the way texting has taken over social contacts. Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing it's just kind of strange to me. It's like no one I know really uses the phone anymore unless absolutely necessary. I don't remember the last time I was called by someone just to chat on the phone. Now people, if they contact me at all, text me. It's sort of like talking but not. I've had very significant and intimate conversations with the text variety conversations I doubt I would ever had just over the phone or face-to-face. What is also I think interesting is that one can use the text/messenger app as a voice to voice conversation device and even more so when can use the video chat mechanism as face-to-face. These are all outstanding uses of messenger/texting but still I miss the phone analog.

I wonder if all the moms out there pining away for some form of social contact with their offspring realized the power and fulfillment of texting. I'm surprised at the amount of people at this senior living project I am at have cell phone to know how to use them. I don't know how many of put together the idea of texting and their kids but I know couple have. Many of the residents here stare at their cell phone as I imagine they do their landline (if indeed they still have a landline)wishing, hoping praying when the offspring will remember them and give them a call. Can you imagine the communication and all if we could communicate with our deceased loved ones? Ethereal texting! Surviving children would never get any rest. And perhaps moms and dads who have passed on would never get a bit of rest either. Kids who never called them in their temporal now will not leave them alone the spiritual zone. Kind of interesting.

I'm still out on what I think about texting truly texting. I certainly have been using the platforms liberally. Again, isn't weird to have it “text date” instead of a real date? If, because of your disability and or age cannot physically get to a physical date but you're able to link up visit, communicate and enjoy the company of another person (S) do you call this a date? It kind of feels the same but in the whole universe of “tele-whatever” or you're just getting saccharin-based, low-sodium sugarfree copy of the real thing...?

No comments: