Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Step by Step

I just got off the phone with State Retirement Systems, that state organization responsible for keeping track of earned income earned vacation earned sick leave. I have been advised by my colleagues here at work and family members that the time has indeed, come when I need to get the real lowdown on separating from the work world. I must admit I have drug my feet no small distance in making this phone call. The phone call and subsequent meeting means to me, this is real. There will be a time when my services are no longer required in I will be staying home every day instead of getting up dressing and showing up at work.

Last week in an effort to save a few dollars, I left the house early, geared from my regular course and stopped in at the local McDonald's for a latte, which was half the price of a latte at Starbucks. I was shocked as I crashed through the doors of the perennial fast food joint – – now serving breakfast every day – – to see 20 or 30 faces, aged and looking just like mine turn and face me as I entered the joint. Something which really unsettled me, was that I felt right at home like this was the place I was meant to be at this time in the day at this age my life. That's weird. The latte machine was broken, so I grabbed a coffee filled it with milk and zipped out the door and to the bus stop.

People at my office have been counseling me what to do, and more importantly not to do, with the State so that I separate with such organization in the best financial situation possible. This is getting a bit confusing for me, but I'm told to him it certain pieces of information, or fabricate pieces of" information " I begin to get nervous. Already I feel I'm living on the verge of conspiracy if not collusion to commit fraud. So just got off the phone with Penny, who I'm sure felt I was intellectually challenged in trying to convey my needs to her. I wanted to make an appointment to meet with a representative of State Retirement where I can sit and asked the big questions regarding my sick leave, annual leave, archived sick leave. I have a bunch of leave accrued, and I need to best find out how to spend the leave especially if I have go on long term disability, which somehow means I will be without medical coverage for up to 18 to 24 months and I need to know if I have the resources to bridge this health Gap. Penny advised me she knew exactly what I was speaking of, and I would not need to have a formal appointment set to speak with a professional retirement systems. I just have to drop-in between eight and five and one of the people will work with me guide through the maze, can direct me how I will spend the rest of my life without work.

1 comment:

riptideselkie said...

Hang in there! Looking confident is half the battle. Don't let anyone rush you through anything and make sure all your questions are answered before you leave. Hugs.