Friday, April 25, 2014

Rex The Rooster??


We have a chicken, more pointedly we have a rooster or should I say the rooster has us. The rooster in question showed in my yard a couple of weeks ago. One of the reasons this is unique if not bizarre is we are city dwellers, a small city but a city all the same more urban then rural. The rooster is a free ranger he wanders the neighborhood. He must have been domesticated somewhere, he does not seem to be frightened by my power chair or Dianne walking round the yard. In fact I swear he comes running when he sees me come out of the house to sit on the ramp. It not like he jumps on to my shoulder giving me the appearance of a barnyard pirate but he does hang near by.

I am not sure but I kind of think the rooster leaves nearby( or should I say roosts) a couple of house north of ours I refer to as the Cat women house. The lady who lives there takes in stray and feral felines . She leaves cans a food out on her drive way to bring the animals in. I think she is just crazy enough to add a rooster to the fold. I do not know for sure.
I talk to the beast when he shows up and to that end I named the rooster for my benefit, it is just easier in salutations and discussions to address a name rather then a specie. I chose “Rex”. Rex is a short, yet strong and masculine name I believe any bird would enjoy and as luck would have it, my last trip to the liquor store provided me with a box for Rex Goliath wine. I of course then did the research and found there was a “Rex Goliath” a huge fowl for which the wine is named. Here is a link.

The the other day as I was working in my garage I encounter a very strange thing. Bare in mind. There has been one and only chicken I have seen in our yard the past couple of weeks. No other free rangers. So imagine my shock and chagrin when I glanced into a pace behind our garbage cans and found a next filled with chicken eggs, large white eggs, maybe a dozen eggs or more, some broken some looking quite old.
Figuring a chicken lays one egg per day this operation has ben going on for sometime. The simple answer through laws of deduction is that Rex is the rightful owner of the eggs, that Rex in fact laid the eggs but then that would mean that Rex my not be so much a Rex but maybe a Rexine! This is more then difficult foe me to fathom. Perhaps if Rex did not so much look like a Rex with a fine stately comb and manly strut round our yard I would be more open that Rex was a cross clucker. I even heard him crowing, or trying to crow outside my door the other morning. However I am forced to admit Rex had a pretty weak crow.

The next in the corner of the house was fairly primitive and Dianne put together fine nest in side a box brought home from a shopping expedition big box store. So far the layer of the eggs has not returned and I doubt he/she will. I think once the “home” disturbed the bird moves on. So we'll do some more searching round the yards front and back and maybe just maybe we'll get lucky.

No comments: