Saturday, June 09, 2018

Reunions End


Image may contain: Faye Shull, CarlandJean Smith, Mark L. Smith, Leah Smith, Irene Kraft and Paul H Smith, people smiling, people sitting and outdoor

It's kind of weird just because the reunion is that the park adjacent to my apartment complex I said I have the feeling that I'm the host. I know that I'm not in fact I don't even think the other people think I'm the host but I kind of feel responsibility to make sure this thing goes up right for some reason. I don't eat anything really getting except the banana and the little coffee I made yesterday which is left. I knew we would be eating a lot during the day at the reunion. I cannot remember and I was not sure when the gathering would be today. I knew it was going to be a lunch so at least by 12 noon people are going to be around. Well try to keep myself busy and the best way I thought would be to go to the food bank and do my usual Saturday run through the program. I knew going to the food bank would take a significant amount time just because the weather was good today so a lot of people yet meeting that the waiting line would be significant. For every second I actually worried but my family would think if they saw I was using the food bank then I dismissed the idea from my head. Whatever rationale I'm using I don't care what they think that I use the food bank.

I also figured that the second I got mine from food bank I would see people start arriving and that's what happened. Paul was there not long after I got the food bank looking for a place to park you not see me but I saw him. He called but I was able to get the phone. I probably had to wait almost an hour to get through the line at the food bank.

I was confused and a little disappointed because when we adjourned yesterday after dinner discussion was held and it was decided that we would do fried chicken cold fried chicken in the fixings from one of the big box stores like Costco. And the rationale was if we only had prepared food no one would have to be saddled with meal prep. Of course, when the food arrived it was fixings for cold cuts sandwiches, special bread buns and croissants. Plus potato salad, chicken salad your typical cold cuts beef turkey and ham. Lots of bottled water and ice. It was a nice spread but someone had to cut of the vegetables and prepare the food for eating. I hammered on not too badly but I was a little disappointed. It just occurred to me as I write this but perhaps it was the expense of the chicken versus cold cuts. I remember I did this last year.

We visited, play some games, the young people played volleyball and some bean bag toss games. It seemed everyone had a great time. And of course people tired out and took the break electing to regroup in the evening for more talking at my brother's place – – typically we have another meal Consisting of leftovers from the previous meal. The meal and the discussion is nice. A little sister who had lunch with yesterday's always the first to leave – – she had a plane to catch – – she is so exotic and she was gone. That set the mood of impending separation. The event was near conclusion. We yammering on into the night, the sun set in the night critters came out. Carl turned on the outside lights and we talked until everyone was yawning and we knew it was time to break and get ready to go. Pictures were taken hugs were had and farewell said. My brother loaded me up to my van and drove me back to the apartments. It's late, I'm tired but I'm glad we had another event. I heard one person say let's do it again next year but I did during seconds… Perhaps that's best.


No comments: