Friday, July 06, 2018

In Watermelon sugar




If I had to pick my most favorite fruit of all time I would choose the watermelon. Watermelon in its perfect state. That time when the melon as the most watermelon sugar available. I can deal with the seeds. I like everybody else loves to shoot the seeds from my mouth machine-gunned fashion. However I would never turn down seedless watermelon. I love the watermelon with salt and especially with sharp cheddar cheese preferably as cold as the melon. Oddly watermelon is always played a major part of my life. My earliest remembrances of watermelon was hanging out with my father on Saturdays and never the night were always suppressed into helping my dad do whatever he needed to do that day. However, in the summer there were a number of times coming home from our tasks that we wondered into South Boise to the home of Ivan Dashovski. Ivan Dashovski is just one of the colorful personalities woven into the fabric of my father's life. Ivan worked at the same shop as my father, Boise Heating and Air-conditioning. I don't know how much of a role I played in my father's life except that my dad knew where to get good watermelon. Ivan Dashovski had a real-life bomb shelter in his backyard. It was so mysterious to me to know somebody who actually had a bomb shelter. The only problem was it the big bomb fell that bomb shelter was not going to do Ivan any good because the shelter was full watermelons! Seriously, the bomb shelter was freezing down there but maybe not freezing cold enough to keep these watermelons and perfect temperature. We ate watermelon as much as we could at Ivan's.

My best friends the Cantrell's always had a huge garden. Old Mr. Cantrell my best friends grandfather was very old but he got around pretty well. All Mr. Cantrell's life lived in the house on part of the Cantrell's farm. There from Missouri came out West when my friends dad came home from the war. Mr. Cantrell, old Mr. Cantrell had a knack for raising watermelons. Old Mr. Cantrell raised watermelons as big if not bigger than the ones in the market. My family tried to raise watermelons and always came away with was small fruits the size of large softballs. But OMC were perfect melons. More than once the give us boys a watermelon to split that was great.

My dad worked all the time which means that we work all the time more or less. My dad didn't follow football, baseball or anything really that I was aware of. The only television show that I remember the actually watched with any frequency was Gunsmoke. However, one weekend a summer every summer our church had a camp in that function called Father and Sons outing. Everybody in the Ward (all the males) would pack up our cars and head up to Pine Top. I will discuss Pinetop at another point in time limit to say the place is beautiful. Only force that, Hot Springs swimming pool and a common area/kitchen where the best pancake breakfasts ever were made. We would always come in on a Friday and leave on a Saturday afternoon the last event of father and Sons outing was the watermelon bust. Everybody would meet at the kitchen and some of the older guys would start cutting watermelon and they would keep cutting watermelon for the next couple of hours. I don't know how many truckloads of watermelon they went through but I knew I got share.

Night before last I finally garnered up enough courage to attack the watermelon I purchased at Costco last week. I really didn't have a plan going in but I had a couple of plastic containers so excited I would cut the melon half and then dispose each Methodically filling each container. This took about an hour and a half. I felt the two containers and is much as I could yet I still had the fourth of watermelon to dispose of. I knocked on a couple doors but nobody was answering. I went down to the common area and there that Hispanic contingency that lives here were all yammer you having a good time. My neighbor across the hall Jose Was there. I went to them and he followed me down to my apartment. He speaks very little English just enough to get by. I finally got him to understand I wanted him to take the one quarter watermelon were just left Jose was overjoyed. You would've thought I'd give them a new car. He took the watermelon and and scurried across the hall.

I love watermelon I think I always will.

No comments: