Sunday, January 26, 2020

D D at Dees



I just cannot believe how irresponsible that I am being regarding food. I'm beginning to see a pattern in my food wastage/usage. I think I like to go to the process of preparing the food than having one or two meals from the food which I prepared that tends to sit in the refrigerator (if I am that responsible). When I was sick, a week and a half ago I made that big batch of chicken soup quasi-chicken noodle soup because I had Campbells chicken noodle soup in the mix. I tried to find my own noodles but gave up and went ahead and processed what I had. The soup turned out all right for what was. Now I'm much better and I think I only ate two bowls of the soup so I still have lots of zuppa of the chicken.

I was fortunate enough to spend the majority of the day with my ex-wife/best friend Dianne. We went to breakfast that spent more time making my apartment much more livable. Was a pretty great day. Couple days ago I thawed two chicken breasts. Actually I just stopped frozen chicken from the freezer straight into the meat drawer of the refrigerator and finally got them today. It was late in the afternoon when I finally liberated to chicken breasts from their container. Note: these were foist go upon me at one of my Food Bank visits. Typically, this packet of protein resides in my refrigerator's freezer until I either use it or becomes so freezer burned that the item is non-usable. I am trying to state my commitment of using all the items in my refrigerator (upper and lower) in a timely manner, wasting as little as possible. Therefore I don't think I've been to the food bank once this year. I don't need anymore frozen chicken or pork. If I could be assured of being that would be another matter I and another blog entry.

The apartment is becoming so organized it is getting that feeling that you don't want to move for fear of producing entropy. But I went ahead and pulled out a cookie sheet and actually found a box of tinfoil (actually Dianne found the tinfoil in the back of the cupboard and she was fishing everything out so) I opened the tinfoil and kind of lined the cookie sheet plopped the chicken breasts on a sheet and through them into the is at 450°. Now the trick for me in cooking these days in my oven which is kind of low down is that whenever I make anything I've got wait for that out to cool down before it that I can actually reach in and pull the item out safely. Also, I try to let the oven cool down to the point that when I do open up the oven door I do not set off my pesky fire alarm.

I finally opened the door and pulled up the baking sheet and skewered the chicken breasts with a nice two-pronged poker. I took one breast to the side cut off the end and sliced it into a few bite-size bits and did taste test. The product was okay, not stellar but usable. It did not taste as good I was will liked that I could use the sliced chicken sandwich or even salad stuff if I want or even “beef-up” the chicken noodle soup if I really want. I was able to keep the chicken fat on most of the aluminium foil. So, I have a little cleanup but not nearly as much as I usually do as well as using up stuff out of the freezer.

The high point of my day was having breakfast at Dees with DD Sundays don't get much better than that…

No comments: