Monday, April 12, 2010

Zombies!!

I don’t know what it was or what was in the air on Saturday but I thought zombies were everywhere—Saturday you might remember was the day I had to sit on the panel discussion. People were strange! Perhaps is was because the majority were social work students and just not the students and really not so much the students as those folks who hang out at the public library. I am sure part of the problem is since the good city fathers have cleared Pioneer Park the home-less crazies have no-other place to go, once they are turned out of the Shelter or Rescue Mission in the morning. they have to go somewhere until later in the after noon when these places reopen.

There were homeless guys, sleeping in the library on every floor not only at the desks provided for library users but also in the stacks , hosing off in bathrooms and subtly harassing folks outside of the building. I move pretty fast in my power chair so it’s difficult for these guys to catch me and beg for money but occasionally it happens and I usually keep a couple of bucks in my pocket. This is great insurance and it never hurts to help someone if I can. But, I cannot do it all and all these folks have he “1000 yard” stare. It was a beautiful day, Saturday, warm and perhaps more folks then usual were out. If the library experience had been the only experience Saturday I would not have thought much about the event. But later in the day when I got off the train at my stop Dianne and Ani met me and the plan was to go out for an early dinner. So we went to the Golden Corral an all you can eat place we have been going to the past couple of months. A place where one can still get protein in large amounts much more so then any other type place in the city. Again, there were zombies everywhere carrying multiple plates of food, steak, shrimp, noodles, post roast and fried chicken gain with that !000 yard stare. Atleast the zombies were not staring at me they were just staring off in the distance—maybe it was not the zombieness of this place which was so weird as the number of seniors(sorta like me) or the number of lower-middle class with just enough cash to purchase their all you can eat ticket to food Nirvana. So I don’t know what brought the Z’s out this weekend but they were(I checked there was not a full moon either).

I ‘m really not an elitist even if I sound like one, I just thought it strange as to the number of the strange who happened to be out. Maybe I am the strange one and I have to get out more often and maybe the advent of better weather I will be getting out more. It’s hard to say. Either way I just want to be sure to stay away from the zombies.

No comments: