Wednesday, February 23, 2011

I don't Have to Like It!!

This last Friday, the first day of my President's Day holiday, Dianne and I had been out somewhere in the van doing something I forget what but we had been in and out of places all and no problems but on returning home and trying to pen my van to deploy my lift the switches failed and the doors would not budge which also means the lift will not either and once again I am trapped by my own equipment. The time is about four thirty in the afternoon and I know from personal experience that many small shop get antsy on the eve of national holidays—especially when the holiday is also a three day weekend, so I whipped out my cell and called my main service provider for my wheelchair lift van. Sure enough, the place was nearly deserted, the owner and the guy I usually work with had already gone for the day and Earl was the only one left in the shop.

“Hi, this is me...how long is someone going to be there?”

“ Nope, everyone I gone nd its just me and I need to be going too.”

“Who' this?”

“This is Earl”

“Well, Earl, I am trapped in my van and I need some help getting out . Well you wait long till I an get out there to seer what's wrong?”


Now the the phone is covered by a hand and some one is dialogging wit someone as I wait for a verdict and finally Earl come back on the phone and says …”There ain't no one here who can help” .


“Come on, I'm trapped in the van and I atleast need out!” more muffled talking and finally Earl returns,

“ OK, I'm coming out and I'll get you out but I don't have any tools just so you know and I'll hav to charge a service call...”


“OK, OK I'll be here”.


I gave earl directions to the house and then settled back to wait. Fortunately, the day was a warmer Springlike day and I was dressed warm enough. Earl finally got arrive and in five minutes the doors were open, the lift deployed and I was safe on the ground. I gratefully dug my wallet out of my backpack and asked how much a service call cost. Earl replied a little sheepish “ will we charge 30.00 for a service call but since I'm off the clock if you have twenty we'll call it good”

“Deal” I said and gave Earl two tens and he was gone and I motored into the house knowing I will have to make another appointment for the shop and see if they can find the problem short of what ever is the problem.


I hate not being able to trust my equipment but the van is old now and these issues are to be expected but I still don't have to like it

No comments: