Sunday, September 01, 2013

September Ponderings



It's late September and I really should be getting back to school” thus begins one of my favorite songs by Rod Stewart from the fabulous 1970s. I love Maggie May and that time in my life but I was beginning my university work or life since my time and academe seem like a way of life for the longest time. I was personal to disability who had gone through high school and was matriculated in the local college soon-to-be University in Boise Idaho. It was all very swift the federal support programs were in their heyday there was money everywhere if you met the requirements and as a kid with a disability I did. With my academics at the time I probably should not have gotten in higher education but there I was. September, seasonal change, the end of summer.

A low pressure system blew and overnight bringing clouds at lower temperatures And really quite a nice day. We really didn't do much just hang out the house and enjoying some cooking and cleaning and each other. Great quality time together. We even cooked a real dinner, Roast beef and vegetables picked up at the farmers market yesterday. The dinner was excellent I ate too much. And tomorrow is Labor Day with stormy weather forecast for part of the day. Hopefully we should be able to salvage some part of the day tomorrow afternoon. We don't have much planned-maybe some time with Bridget and family at liberty Park who knows?

This is the firstautum I will be spending in my retirement it's weird kind of exciting I will be intrigued to see the change of season as the leaves change color and drop them and mop of summer. Oddly enough I have been called in at 211 to increase my presence at the operation. 211 seems to roll it out a new program which will need more manpower on the phones and they really would like to be there to assist with phone coverage. I know I'm cheap labor but they seemed focused and committed to have more of me there. It's a short project only three weeks. They wanted me there full-time but I just couldn't do that I gave him a commitment to be there on the phones mornings of Tuesday and Wednesday and still do a full day on Mondays So that's about 16 hours which I feel is pretty magnanimous. I chose Tuesday and Wednesday because those days I would be in the city anyway to participate in the Wellness program. By doing morning shifts at 211. I will just be in the city earlier in the day but still will make for a whole day away from home.. Maybe I'm getting spoiled but I sure like my time at home or maybe I'm just getting greedy and a bit selfish.


I'm still feeling a bit unsettled as I wander into this retirement thing. I am feeling moments of anxiousness, which sort of worries me from time to time. I think I'm coping okay but feeling a strange feeling of angst that I feel has always been there but now I seem to be more focused on the feeling. Many times I feel a bit histrionic so I'm trying to get adequate rest, adequate meals and a focus on my Wellness. I kind of think I'm not doing enough for my fellow man you need to be more other centered and return to the world all that been given me in this great time I call life. I think I'm just tired.                             

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My friend

I guess it's normal for anyone to feel anxious upon retirement.We probably have made a long to do list for when we retire.Take it easy.Just do the things that relaxes you.My dad do just that.He is quite a busy man to get hold of.Often we have to call first b4 we drop in to visit,coz he might be having his b'fast at a food stall somewhere or window shopping for some gadgets somewhere in the city.
I have enjoyed reading your blog.Keep writing coz I will keep coming back.
Take care of yourself.
Greetings and best wishes from Malaysia,
Umi