Sunday, September 22, 2013

Motors


As anyone knows who has spent any time at all with this blog knows that I use a power wheelchair for mobility. The chair I use is a quantum 6000 Z which is been pretty good workhorse for my needs in fact to this point I have logged approximately will know exactly 3712 miles on this chair. That is a little over three years maybe for but I think three because I'm counting the years until I can get my next chair. My insurance like most insurance programs stipulates that I can only get a power chair once every five years and that makes me a little nervous. When I got this chair I held out for the biggest motors I could qualify for. The bigger the motors the faster the chair and where I was driving a mile every day back and forth to my train station speed was important to me. So, I held out for the big motors which allows me to go 8 miles an hour, I know this is not sound like much are fast, but I really would want to go any faster I would truly be dangerous if that were the case. In any case I know these motors are wearing out. They have not failed me at all and I really appreciate that but every once in a while I feel something in the motors as I'm driving my chair that makes me a little concerned that makes me feel I need to take some steps to make sure my mobility is okay.



New motors would cost about $2000 apiece I need 2 motors ergo $4000 and I don't have 4000 to spend on new motors for an old chair. So I keep track of durable medical equipment listed on used equipment site that are local to me. A local television station, K S L, has a great website with a great classified section. One of the pages on the classifieds medical section is for used medical equipment and on that page I found the ad for two Nearly new motors that would fit my chair-- this is unbelievable. The individual was asking $150 for each motor and this of course is a deal. I thought about the motors for a week or so talked it over with DD and she encouraged me to go for it and purchase the motors. I made the call last week actually a couple days ago I spoke with the owner who is Jack. Jack is nearly at the end of his life cycle, which breaks my heart, he has a tumor on his spinal cord slowly taking his mobility and life away. He no longer needs the big motors on his chair and is getting rid of them and therefore I enter the picture make the call and claim the motors. I don't need them yet but I have them if I do. Thanks Jack, thanks a lot wish I could give you more, I wish I could give you more life. More life wow, double wow I'm still trying to process this individual into my life. He's not to be around much longer I just don't know how he doesn't. I have been such a boob in my life setting crying about where I am and what I'm doing and what I can't do boy somebody step up and slap is not out of my nose.I need to step back and rethink the situation and be damned thankful for every moment of access and independent that I enjoy because it can be taken away so quickly and so painfully are insidiously. I came away from my meeting with Jack and his family terrified. I try to have a meal at the local fish joined them I could barely taste the food I was so freaked out. I'm still coming to grips with the finality of the whole process and meeting this guy. Jack needs some information on how to better control of his life with a little resources he has left to him. He needs information on environmental controls I can do Some research on Environmental controls and see what I can find for the guy. I got his e-mail and I have his phone number hopefully, hopefully I can find something that will assist him in his final days.

No comments: