Tuesday, March 20, 2018

A Box of Books And So Much More



I love books, books are a major part of my life. As I've been doing a lot lately before I write I will search a specific topic/word that I'm going to write about and see  if I have written about this topic before. I don't want to be redundant anymore than I have to. I am quite shocked at how many references to books I have made over the course of this blog. I wish there is a way to actually calculate references but as yet, I have not found such an engine. However, I'm quite satisfied the topic I'm writing about today, books is different enough that I will not be redundant I hope. Perhaps some scholar years down the line maybe researching my blog and me (boy, is that egotistical or what?) Will find a redundancy if not a parallel.

One of my favorite scenes from Star Trek the original series (TOS) a soliloquy rendered by James T Kirk regarding his affection for analog books, he likes the feel of books, he likes the ability to hold the book in his hands and read it probably even likes the aroma of books the marriage of ink on paper that I believe does give off a particular odor. You know that smell which wafts over you when you enter a bookstore definitely, books the smell of books. I like to think Kirk has the same problem I do with electronic books and just reverse “real” books. I've really tried to get into online reading but I've never been able to enjoy the function. For a host of reasons I won't go into here and possibly have already written about elsewhere in this blog. Anyway, a couple years ago when I was heavy into my Steven King phase, my little sister, Linda picked up on my affection for the master of horror and advised me she had a bunch of titles she was finished of with and would I be interested in them. She was finished with them and wanted be rid of the book. I assured Linda, I was interested and she agreed to bring them to the family reunion which was shortly going to take pace and would bring them along. And she did indeed I consider what she brought a treasure trove of Steven King and a few others. These volumes keep me busy for the remainder of the summer and into the winter when I get my next infusion of gift cards from the kids for Christmas when I purchase my next batch of books. Conveniently, my sister reads a lot so now every few months I receive an infusion of paperbacks as well as hardbacks many one-time owners, my sister. Pictured above is my latest “care package” of books. I've not read any |even though I've had the box for a couple of weeks. I'm currently finishing The Girl On The Train . I noted with delight there were a couple of Patterson novels in the box. I like his writing: succinct an easily read. I can usually read the book in a couple of days and get on the next.

I too, like the captain of the Enterprise, loves the way the book feels in my hands and be able to see my progress through the book as I read. Most of all I like being remembered by little sister be my need for words. Thanks.

No comments: