Monday, March 12, 2018

.smoke Gets in Your Eyes


You cannot see it and this image but there are heatwaves coming out of the chimney of the crematorium pictured here. Today was a beautiful tree spring day along the Wasatch front. I had coffee with my friend at the college not far from my apartments. She had to leave to teach writing and I had a perfect day to do whatever I want. If I went home And did things which are practical I would be inside and not out enjoying this beautiful morning/day, I did not necessarily want to do that. I had a few minutes left on my transfer that I purchased earlier In the morning for the trip to community college so I figured what the heck, I would take the bus to the movies to see what was playing. I cut through the college campus to the Redwood Road stop heading south. I wasn't sure when the 217 would be coming but it wouldn't be long. The time was almost 1 o'clock and the movie A Wrinkle In Time was scheduled to start at 1:30 PM I figured I had all the time in the world.

The bus stop in front of the college, to catch the southbound Redwood Road is almost directly across from a crematorium. This place fascinates me for a number of reasons. For one reason, I don't think I have ever seen a working crematorium, that I realized was a crematorium, until I came across this one not long after I moved to the neighborhood. A bit of a shame the place is not accessible which I really find hard believe. I really wanted to go inside and have a look around even if just the front end. I suppose the place has a chapel. I don't know how it works. Maybe, the place does not have a chapel maybe they just receive the “product" where the “product” is rendered to dust, put in a jar and sent back to the mortuary/church where a service is there then performed.

In the entire time I have lived here at the apartments and travel back and forth to the community College which is often I've never seen a gaggle of cars parked around this facility. I see staff cars, what I think are staff vehicles, just because they are always there but you would think even if there is no chapel, you'd see a hearse every once in a while dropping off “work”. The only thing I surmise is that deliveries are made under cloak of darkness.

One of the reasons I would be interested in gaining access to the crematorium to see if there's any kind of work that I could do, part-time or maybe full-time depending on the task. The crematorium is extremely close to where I live and the extra funds would certainly not hurt. However I cannot gain access through the front door. I just cannot muster up the courage or audacity to see if there is access through the garage where I presume the “product” must be deposited. I'm not sure how I would broach the question of employment. Still, I think even if I had to volunteer, the experience would be fascinating.

No comments: