Monday, June 14, 2021

Blowing In The Wind

 


It is so interesting our Sunday morning breakfasts. We've developed a tradition of having breakfast together Sunday mornings at about 8 AM at D's restaurant here in Taylorsville on Redwood Road. We sit at the same table and surprisingly the same people are in the room, usually, I have noticed. We haven't really started saying hi to each other perhaps the best has far as been occasional nod. In some ways it feels like Groundhogs Day The movie starring Bill Murray about the guy who has to relive the same day until he learns his lesson. We become kind of a fixture just like all the other fixtures at this restaurant. I think there are other father-son breakfasts going on but I can't tell yet for sure. I don't know how long we will be able to continue this routine and the routine is somewhat caloric and I feel little weird that way but I don't want to interrupt the flow that we've developed so far. These meetings are probably very important to us in the long term.


Kind of weird, I've written about this briefly in other posts, I know that I have just too lazy to go back and find them but I think it's kind of interesting how my children divvied up their parents. Shelley took responsibility for Karen/Shannon and Mark Anthony got me. Now that Karen/Shannon has passed Shell is somewhat off the hook. I might add she had a great job too. So, Shelley and I have kind talked about this so wasn't really a sucker punch but it was still, off-the-wall when during breakfast I suddenly realized I was in the middle of the “the talk”. This is unlike a reverse birds and bees responsibility/talk the parents had to deal with with their adolescents just reversed kids are asking the parents how do I want to play the endgame? Do I want a funeral? You want a casket? Do I want cremation and if so how do you want to dispose of the “remains”. Quite a bit to channel through in the middle of my Denver omelette. I was surprised at how casual the whole discussion ended up being. Productive but very casual and almost funny if not entertaining. I was somewhat surprised that Mark is really concerned about “the estate” I mean there is no “estate”. Dianne will take care of her stuff and I will take care of my stuff or my case Mark Anthony will take care of what stuff my stuff might consist of. Sadly or perhaps luckily I don't have anything to dispose of the side of a Couple of power chairs, electric bed and a couple of pieces of art and maybe a couple hundred pounds of clothes and kitchen utensils and one computer that's about it. Easy peasy. Dianne on the other hand that's quite a bit more and perhaps that's best.


It looks like going to be cremated and ground will find dust hopefully. I'm a fellow couple vessels for kids who might want me on the shelf (kind of Mark's idea) and whatever's left I'm thinking to be dumped off of table rock northeast of Boise. A couple of places I thought about before have been taken over with housing stock and other questionable forms of gentrification even the desert above our old farm. There used to be islands on the river where we used to hang out as kids like I said that's been taken over by upper mobiles wishing to have riverfront property. So perhaps it's best if there has to be a ceremony a small gathering with what is ever left of the ashes which will then be offered up to the winds above the Boise Valley to be blown wherever…

No comments: