Saturday, June 26, 2021

Gradual Acceptance

 


I now had this power chair five almost days and I've gone from just totally hating the device to gradually getting to know the chair and my body getting to know the chair. This kind of bummed at first really bummed almost depressed because it felt like my skin on my butt was begin to break down from my new ride. The second day seemed a little better than what I thought was skin breakdown turned out to be something else I guess. I was also stressed because I was having difficulty transferring from my bed to my chair. My new chairs back is configured differently than the old chair, on the old chair I had things to hook onto to hold onto to pull myself up right into the chair when transferring from my bed. In that same vein there are bars on the side of my old chair which allow me to hold onto the chair during the night and allows me to pull myself toward the chair to change body weight. The new chair does not have this feature however, luckily, I found a way to hook my arm into the new chair which basically allows me to do the same move. I also hook my long stick on the old bars and I found a way to hook the stick to the new chair. So, these elements were important to me and my well-being regarding the chair now the solution to the grab bars and hooks have been solved on just about satisfied with the chair except for trying to dress in the chair. Now, in this new chair I can barely raise my legs up over my other leg to put my shorts and shoes on. I can eventually do this process that takes a great deal of patience and maneuvering to get my leg over the opposite leg in order to dress. I'm trusting that each day this process my get easier. I've just about gone to not wearing shoes unless I'm going out or two at in-person meeting during the day. That's okay I hate wearing shoes but realize it's a public necessity similar to the whole thing of heaven were close – – but I won't even go there. Suffice it to say I'm coming along with the new chair.


And you know what else drives me crazy when the representative from the wheelchair shop who dropped off my chair and tweaked it to better fit me handed me the “folder” that has propaganda from the hospital/wheelchair shop and I guess more importantly the breakdown of the cost of the wheelchair. $27,000 and some change I never get used to how much this equipment is sold to the insurance companies state and government/consumer. I mean seriously, I do appreciate the hardware, software and everything else that goes into this device at $27,000 come on that's the price of a decent vehicle are a hefty down payment on a house. The features and freedom the chair offers is worth a lotbut this much is a little over-the-top.…

No comments: