Saturday, June 14, 2014

Dilemmas


I have been wrestling with a moral dilemma for the past couple of days. As I'm sure many of you know you can tell that I use a voice dictating device, Dragon Dictate Naturally Speaking, by Nuance, Inc. I have to admit, I'm falling deeply in love with the software. It allows me to get my thoughts down on paper without all the problems that I experience with my limited hand function. It just amazes me to speak my thoughts and see it magically appear on the computer screen. Granted, I have to discipline myself to not only dictate correctly but to seriously go back and edit what I have written, or more specifically dictated. Anyway, I was exasperated last week, when I tried to install my latest copy of Dragging Dictate 12.5 onto my laptop after I had it installed the same software on my desktop. Frustrated, when, after installing the software to a laptop that I could not register the software because it was already installed on another system. In the past I've always been able to install software on more than one machine but not so anymore. Dianne, encouraged me to just go ahead and purchase another license for the software… It just pisses me off control some people exert over other people in this life. Anyway, I did I went ahead order the software and have just installed on my laptop. In the past I had no qualms of using bootlegged software, music, DVDs or whatever. I still don't it is just easier now to go ahead spend the money and get what I want.

Earlier this week, I was out of a tarmac riding the system, I was downtown just about to purchase my train ticket when I noticed stuck to the screen of the vending machine at ticket, a train ticket good for another hour and a half. Briefly, an explanation when a person buys a transit ticket or fare that purchases good for two hours travel in any direction on the transit system. So I had just been gifted free transit for my destination. I actually took a second to think about the options that if I took this ticket, a fare that I was prepared to purchase. was this fair to someone who may be really needed the ticket, a homeless person, a poor person with a disability or otherwise whatever . I took the ticket and felt myself lucky. Then I started thinking as I looked around to see if anyone was watching me… What if this was a setup, entrapment by the transit authority. The platforms are all monitored closely with cameras. How close these cameras are monitors is another question I didn't know. Were the transit cops with their big guns going to sweep down on me at the next stop for sniping this ticket stuck on the screen? I actually begin being concerned, looking over my shoulder, playing the part of the transportation fugitive. Was I willing to get busted for a dollar and $.25 fare? What a joke.


I have to admit I was a little spooked for the rest of my train ride. But nothing happened or has happened yet and I doubt anything will happen. I don't know if I would use the ticket again are well use the ticket if I stumble upon a similar situation. Maybe it will be just easier to pay the fair leave the ticket on the screen. By the way I did put the ticket I used, on the screen when I'd finished my journey. There is still 30 minutes left on the ticket… Hope someone else used it.

1 comment:

Dianne said...

Neat!