Saturday, June 28, 2014

Life's Obstacles






Sometimes I get so exasperated sometimes just trying to do my day, I just want to cry. Some days, when I have not had enough sleep I feel these pressures more than other days. This is how I felt earlier this week when I was on my way to my local McDonald's to grab a bite to eat before heading into the city. I was actually feeling pretty good as a noted a temporary repair had been made on the sidewalk on the way to the restaurant that I reported to the Murray city engineering department a few days earlier. A little sidewalk degradation that was making traveling on that sidewalk, for me, more and more dangerous. It took me quite a while to get motivated to the point of actually jumping into the local city bureaucracy but I did and now the sidewalk was much safer for me another folks who use any type of wheeled apparatus. Perhaps I was smug, or perhaps my hubris was running high but my forward progress was now being blocked by city obstacles. I couldn't believe it. There was a giant city caution sign right to the middle of the sidewalk. I had to actually use my power chair to push the sign out of my path. No sooner had I accomplished this then I ran into some kind of street blocker in front of the sidewalk cuts that a wheelchair user uses to access the sidewalk when crossing the street. These were a bit more rascally to move out of the way but I was able to do that. I was eventually able to do what I want to do but it was difficult and had I not been in my power chair I would've been helpless to go any further. I did take some images of these obstacles and I will send them to Murray city and hope for the best. I am assuming these are Murray cities but they could be County's and even State's.I know I'm not the only person who uses of wheeled device for mobility especially in this area. A lot of seniors eat at this McDonald's. The city engineers just have to know how to play signage out of the way. Is this too much to ask?

No comments: