Monday, June 09, 2014

Three Way Change



Y'all know how I feel about change. I don't like that, “change” but perhaps “change” is my lesson, the lesson I have to learn forward. There is change happening all over my neighborhood and all I can really do is sit back and watch this change occur.

The big house on the corner, where Brian and Doris used to live has been rented to new people. Brian and Doris have moved further east. Brian and Doris have been great neighbors, they were quiet but friendly Doris recently retired they were gone. I have recently found out Brian leased the property as a group home and there are three adult males living there with developmental disabilities. Actually, this is good, inclusion my neighbor. I must confess I was a bit startled at first having a group home across the street but now I must practice what I preach we shall see. Really the only change in the situation with Brian and Doris gonespace is the house is not as clean as it used to be. We never see the residents and they do get to see Doris periodically she comes over clean yard.

My neighbor across the street has lived in the fine brick house for as long as we've lived across the street from him. Dan is a great name he's always been helpful to me and cordial. His house is not accessible wheelchair that really whose is? Number of years ago Dan went through a divorce, the divorce was nasty but life went on. In the last couple of years he is begin dating again. Then a few months ago he began renting rooms in his house. This is caused an influx of people in our neighborhood. The renters are young guys and quite active now, there are lots of cars lots of parties in the bit more noise than the neighborhood is used to more change.

My neighbor to the south, the one who is even older than I, the one who served in World War II, the one who is now failing in health is the third big change in the neighborhood. My neighbor was in an automobile accident last month. Hospitalized and traumatized he is now getting on with his life in a home that is not conducive to people with physical limitations. He has concrete steps going in and out of his house and terrified he will fall and end his life quicker than he needs. I try to visit him but when I do he has to come out of his house and set on the steps, the concrete steps, this is okay during the conversation but is when the conversation is over and I'm supposed to leave that the risk begins. I tend to stay and wait and watch my friend mount the stairs, open the door and go into the house. I know there is nothing I can do if he were to fall backward short of trying to catch him and if nothing else break his fall. I guess I could alert someone, 911 or whatever if that should happen. It just seems the right thing to do with what I will do even if it annoys my friend. I sense that it does but we have limitations,, we all do he has to realize this.


Change it is my lesson, I hate change and I hate this lesson but I guess it's time to learn it.

No comments: