Monday, June 23, 2014

Opportunity To Shine



Couple of weeks ago I took a call from my old boss who is the director of the state development disabilities Council. I like her great deal she likes me and she believes it she is the main force that has allowed me to enjoy my retirement financially and having adequate healthcare. I owe her a lot. So when she calls I listen.


Claire is a great person, my old boss, she is a dreamer and she even accomplishes many of the things she dreams. So she told me about an event that was going to happen, a celebration for the Olmstead act. A piece of legislation aimed at keeping people with disabilities in the least restrictive environment, which for people with disabilities are physical disabilities means keeping them out of nursing homes. Claire had me join her on a conference call with a number of individuals throughout our state involved with folks with disabilities that are at risk of losing their independence are going to a more restricted environment. Of course, I'm from independent living, this is basic for me I believe this so of course I support them in their project. It was decided a picnic of sorts was to be held in conjunction with the local Independent living centers 5K fundraiser. There would be a press conference following the race where folks would speak to the glory of the Olmstead act. When it was time to assign responsibilities they needed someone to emcee the event I figured that was the least amount of work and responsibility like a deal with so I volunteer. I was told I would get the list of speakers and I a assumed some sort of agenda. We scheduled a planning meeting for next week which never came to pass in the premeeting the day before the event.

The day before the event we did have a meeting of sorts everything's seem to be in place. I had never gotten the names of folks on the agenda a or an itinerary. The day of the event I showed up a bit nervous not having the materials I felt that I needed for my part of the event. I lucked out and was mailed a press release that I downloaded and finally opened where there was a basic list which I took hold of my hand during the event. Claire was there thank goodness and when and frustration I asked her for an itinerary like who is in charge she said “you are”. I was astonished, flabbergasted and scared to death. I told her I wasn't this was not what I was signed up for but I figured nothing was going to change.

They put us together are rather Claire pointed to me and said “you're on”. I shocked myself I pulled it off. I know I did a bunch of mistakes, I always do a bunch of mistakes on something like this. I mispronounce names, I leave out names altogether, I have to be reminded of somebody I missed and that's what happened but that's okay nobody care. Which is okay by me. And what shocked me even further was that I had a pretty good time. I was able to visit with old friends and other friends. I'm surprised at how much I seem to like this stuff even though I hate this stuff. I really appreciate Claire giving me the opportunity to shine.

No comments: