Tuesday, May 12, 2015

My Electric Apocalypse


I felt it the second that I woke that today was going to be a hard day. I don't know why I felt that way I just did. I don't know why but when my staff asked what I want to wear I selected slacks and I should know better today is Tuesday, I have physical therapy today which means I wear my training pants with elastic waist. This allows me to roll around on the mat and not expose too much myself keeping the physical therapy staff happy and unafraid. I was already in my chair basically done dressing when I realized my mistake and there was no way without having to sling me back up in the lift going back to bed and putting elastic waisted pants on so I figured I just have to do my best. When I turned on my power chair it was reading 93% charge which means that it didn't charge during the night and I don't know what that is about! I just hope I have enough charge to make it over to the bus stop that into Assist.Inc, Where I figured I could charge of hour at assist. As I was on the train headed for Assist.Inc. I checked my phone and realized I have been contacted by Dave in the meeting had been canceled. Oh, I forgot that my cell phone was only have charged in my tablet was only a quarter charged, it had not been plugged in during the night so I was running slim on all my electric products. I was in the middle electric conspiracy.

Since I did not have to go to my meeting I ended up going to Dunkin' Donuts refreshing my coffee and charging their for and hour, which I felt would be more than the to get me over to physical therapy… I was wrong! My chair Stopping indicating a low battery light. I was driving in number one speed and anytime I reached the incline my chair would stop. It was obvious I was in distress and finally a good soul stopped and helped me cross the street by disengaging my motors and freewheeling me over to the clinic where physical therapy is at. Once I was at PT and transferred from my chair to the mats I had Chris Plug in my chair and led charge for an hour while I was in therapy that seem to work but I hung around the charge for about another hour. I was trying to formulate a plan that case my battery failed completely I could be rescued. I called Dianne and hopes that she would be around but she was not, so I called my brother informed him that if he could after work around 3 o'clock, stop in the house and download the upper tone system that is in the van. When I did get a hold of Dianne she would not be around so that was a no go so I decided just to go for it and charge for had to. Oddly enough the trip home was uneventful I did not go full speed though I still had power to 90s as I got home this was good. I miss by 430 workout so I will pump my bike at 630 I listen to marketplace on NPR.



I must get the upper tone out of the van so it will be usable needs be. I'm beginning to feel I cannot trust this chair so I better pick up a loaner from the Center and get this chair into Utah Center for Assistive Technology and get this chair refurbished. I doubt this will last until the middle of June and possibly my new chair will be here. It is a long day but I'm home, Dianne is home and I feel safe in my surroundings. It felt like my electric apocalypse.

No comments: