Saturday, May 02, 2015

Hey I M And Artist!?



Yesterday I had lunch with my good friend Jerry, Jerry you remember was the writer for Deseret News. Jerry still Does a column for The Deseret News and keeps his fingers in writing published a book every couple years. Jerry and I've grown fairly close over the past couple decades. We have lunch three or four times year, catch up, have a couple laughs and talk about getting old and dying. Today's lunch was the first since my whole ordeal with stenosis which came on in January. I've written quite a bit about the stenosis, The operation and recovery. I do not intend to but I think I may have painted a bleaker picture then reality purports. Either way Jerry was delighted to see that I was still Good old adorable me. I had to show him my weak left side and explain to him how significant the loss of function on my left side has been.

We've been going to this Chinese restaurant for the past 10 years because it's dead center downtown not far from the Deseret news and not far from my office when I was working. We liked the food and we like the service and the fact that it was also on the light rail tracks station it was excellent for me especially now that I'm no longer working. I was quite disoriented yesterday when getting off the train Cyndi Lee's, Chinese restaurant was no longer to be seen. In its place was a much smaller Vietnamese joint which would bypassed. We finally came to a pizza place that would fairly new but interesting enough for us to check it out. The important part was to find a place where we could talk to food being secondary to our interest.


Jerry has always was fashionably late, I'd almost packed and then thinking that he'd found a better option for lunch that day but Jerry had found problems and parking which made him run late. We shook hands sat down ordered our pizzas and talked. I of course had to rehearse everything that has happened to me since January. I just lightly covered the events, big parts about going to the nitty-gritty and pain which filled the days are getting used to this new lifestyle. A couple of lunches ago Jerry and asked if I was writing I said no had been spending most of my time sketching and drawing donkeys in this intriguing him to the point where he was so impressed with some of my work he wanted to see more. So for this meeting I action-packed one of my sketchbooks had a number of donkeys. This sketchbook also had a number of nudes myself since I'm the only model I have access to. First off I am not a very good drawer, I like to think I'm an artist but also like to think the writer but we all know better on both counts. But I like to make marks on paper comes out as art then so be it. I get reinforced then go and do a number of pieces of work. We had our lunch two pieces of pizza each and a week soda and that he asked if had brought by work with me. I reluctantly handed over my tablet which Jerry began to peruse.I was a bit worried, his brows knitted and after a few minutes that he liked what he saw. But he also said that with a piece I inadvertently showed them a year ago that I had created on my tablet. Went on and on and I began to feel patronized. When I said as much he looked at me and asked how much I would charge for my work where and I laughed thinking now he really was patronized. I'd like to think I could do such stuff but enough strange move he said hold on how much would you charge I said I don't know I said a couple bucks just to get the conversation stopped but to my surprise he said wait, I will give you $25 picture you let me pick out the pictures. With that he got up and left the restaurant, crossed the street to his bank and came back with 100 bucks. Patronized or not I'm no fool he tore out four pictures three donkeys and a self-portrait lay down 100 bucks. Jerry had we sign the images and we finish the transaction. Jerry said he got the better of the deal that they be worth 10,000 at some point I laughed I know my limits. Jerry says my work is dark and angry which I agree is dark I'm still thinking about the anger part and he may have a point. Either way, even though I know the reality of self than anything else is right up there is me walking again I am going to hit the sketchpad and gets more donkeys out… I love my donkeys. I would hate to think Jerry was the only person who bought any but he did like say do you have larger pictures of these and you know what soon I will.

No comments: