Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Lunch Time And The Big Apple

 



I know this sounds shallow one of the reasons I went to work for the state back in 1998 was the fact that it would allow me to have an T-1 connection on my computer which was something I desperately desired back in the old days. That's when I ran and information line on disability for the state. We're were a two operator operation. Technically I was the manager of the operation but I don't manage very well with pretty much run our own stations, answering our own calls up in each other out when we needed to cover the phones on Mondays and Fridays buyer sells our partner could have a three day weekend – – each of us. October the phones on Friday and be off on Monday and Marie would cover the phones on Monday and be off on Fridays that worked pretty well. With my access to a T-1 line I found I could access live transmission cameras – – today I guess it would be called “streaming”. In 1998 very few people knew about this technology in the cameras were essentially plastered on building somewhere or tower or something and they just broadcast continually. Of course as I was searching these cameras I found the one for New York. Actually there are a number of cameras for New York but I focused on New York City and found a great feed of Rockefeller Center. I was fascinated with this ability to watch this portion of New York City wander through its daily life. Since there's really nowhere to go over lunch hour you are building which is just east of downtown Salt Lake I would usually eat at my desk dialed into the New York City camera. I think the camera was sophisticated enough that you can actually drive it around and look at different views or angles of the city in that area. I assume this was right over Lincoln Plaza really have the ice-skating rink in the wintertime and really put up the big Christmas tree. I could even use a magnifying device that would allow me to zoom in on the buildings around the skating rink.


At lunch, it would be about 3 o'clock New York time. You could see people still working in the office getting up and walking around especially as the season progressed and things got dark very early. At 3:00 PM it was 5 PM in New York City and you see the people living there offices. It was almost dark than a new see the office lights wink out all other state on – – those not so fortunate to leave at 5 PM. It was fascinating to me. For four days of the week I worked till 5:30 PM. When the last things I did before shutting off my computer for the night was checking on New York. By then it was dark. However, when he opened up the skating rink and of course was light with lots of skaters as well as during the Christmas season always busy. I got on this tangent today by turning on WNYC which is the public radio station for New York City to listen to my favorite show Marketplace . I usually listen to show on my affiliate here in Utah 3 PM but the day I missed the show but I also know I can listen to it again at 4:30 PM when it's broadcast from New York were 6:30 PM. Of course, what I didn't realize that the WNYC is in the middle of their fall fundraiser. Brought back all those memories. I put a link from Earth Cam which is the website are used to watch New York. Of course it's significantly grown since 1998. There are now multiple cameras. I've chosen the Northview that's the closest what I remember watching for so many days lunch hours and another time and another life…

No comments: