Thursday, May 19, 2005

Chicks on the Grass





I love this chicken family. I usually see them everyday on my way up to the train station. The chickens are out there forging for grubs and what ever in various neighbors yards. These birds free range, usually one cock and two hens—there have been times I have seen more. Last year for, instance or maybe the year before one of the hens has a brood of chicks. I counted more then 10. I don’t know how many survived. Some did though but there are a lot of cats in the neighborhood. The chickens are fairly domesticated. They do not seem to be too frightened of me or my wheelchair. If I charge them they will scatter but they will let me approach if I slowly motor my chair up to them. I have never tried feeding them. Maybe, I should. I have not yet has a chance to use the video capture mode of my new digital yet. This might be a good reason to explore the video feature. The cock is quite a character, walking round all puffed up all the time. The bird will crow starting about 5:30 a.m. in the summer and 6:30 in the winter. It’s a good crow and is reassuring affirming the bird has made it through another night which means I have. Maybe that is what it is all about two species working together to get through another day….make mine Original KFC.

No comments: