Thursday, January 03, 2008

Before The Storm

I was amused on my way home ,after I had written the material I had in yesterday’s blog, that indeed it looked as if someone had come along and dozed away some of the major ice dumps on my homebound path. What was weird about the work what had been done was that way home had only been part way cleared. However, I WAS able o navigate the “Bridge of Death” I was able to access the structure but the snow had not been removed and most of the snow has turned to hard crusty ice which rattled my teeth over the bridge but still better then being exposed to traffic. I think what happened was my friend with the City Streets and roads did put some pressure of some of the business owners—this is where I noticed most snow removal to have taken place the residential walks are still an abomination. More snow is slated for tomorrow evening and weekend—we’ll se what Monday brings.

I am sitting here charging my chair as I type, even though I just got to work and I am down only one energy bud. Yesterday the chair seemed to hold it’s charge strong and long into the afternoon. I thought something had changed ,that maybe something with the incident with the pulling the power connection from the controller and it subsequent reconnection maybe have, had a positive effect on the way or much the batter discharged it self or maybe the batteries rate of discharge. I usually charge the batteries in the afternoon but yesterday I didn’t and only after their almost instantaneous discharge about four o clock did I hustle and plug them in and charged for at least a few moments before I started my homeward trek.

I was not worried. I still feel I have one pretty good battery and one failed core which will hold a charge for a short while but then drains quickly and the red warning lights will flash. I have basically learned to ignore such protestations from my chairs electrical system. I always get home. So I was not too worried when I noticed my charge meter plummeting as I neared the downtown train station. I took a longer route to my evening train stopping at the post office to deposit Mom’s letter. I was blinking ‘one red’ by the time I got to the platform.

The sun had set and the darkness and the night’s chill filled the air as I came down the ramp on my home stop. One light blinking I headed home. I noticed as I passed the autoshop—which I judge as halfway, the charge was moving slower then usual even accounting for the red blinking lights. By the time I got to the tracks I must cross to get to my home neighborhood chair was moving much slower then usual, I was truly suffering battery failure. The night air was frigid and I was contemplating having to dig out my cell and call Dianne or maybe my next door neighbor to come and push me the rest of the way home. One hundred yard from my house I was at a crawl. I knew I was going to have a problem even trying to get up my neighbors driveway let alone my ramp.

I barely made it up the driveway but the chair responded ok just slow. I whistled as I got to my yard and Dianne heard. I warned that she needed to stand by because I doubted that I had the energy left in my cores to get up the ramp. But I did, at a snails crawl but I made it all the way home. But now today at 8:45 I am sitting here charging my chair and I plan to charge again this afternoon…just to be sure.

No comments: