Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happy New Year

New Year’s 2008. It has taken me a life time to gain an understanding of New Years. I think there is probably a reason for this understanding coming on n life as it does. Like prayer, I only have recently really gained an appreciation for the exercise although I have always, always literally believed in the practice, like money in the bank. It’s always there when you need it.

New Year means to me that I 'literally' have a “new” year or at least another year, even better. I am still alive and have been granted to live another year. I have not been promised
a good year (although that would be nice) or a bad year ( which would be, not so nice, but I suppose we would muddle through) but most likely "a year". Maybe we have been give an average year and maybe with a little effort, risk and faith we might be able to turn an average year into a wondrous year.

I am truly thankful to be alive this New Year’s Day. I am thankful for the heat in the house, food in the fridge and hot and cold water running in our plumbing. There are some major issues with our house, leaks in the roof, gutters being pulled away from the house dripping sinks, sinking showers and taxes coming in April. I hope and trust we well get to these issues eventually one way or the other. Dianne and I cannot do it by ourselves and me end up relying on Mark A and Gabe more then we should and I am sure both lad are close to their burnout levels but they’re all we have and we have not been let down yet…sometimes our dependency has been an exercise in patience but we have all grown.

I am glad to be alive.

I was trained and drilled every night to pray, offer thanks for the day and the events there in. I think for the first fifty years of my life the exercise was a cross between superstitious behavior and sending in a payment on an insurance policy. It’s there if you need it. However, in the past couple of years I have tumbled into bed exhausted and worn out ready for sleep truly glad to have been given another day on this old Earth to live and with luck survive to do it again the next day.

We passed a quiet and safe New Years Eve, watching a broadcast of MIB II and enjoying it. We spoke with Brooks . I did some shopping earlier in the day getting pop, crackers, chips and other items I perceive are needed for a great New Year’s Eve celebration. I have this undying belief that people are coming over to visit and celebrate but so far nothing has ever happened. Maybe next year…HAPPY NEW YEAR!

1 comment:

riptideselkie said...

Happy New year! We love you! Here's hoping for a good one.
Hugs,
Shelle