Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Can You See Me Now?



The snow had finally stopped yesterday afternoon and about four I got out of the house and started shoveling snow. It was a light powdery snow, very white snow and I had actually powered my power chair all morning to be sure I had the energy to the job. I put my red coat, gloves and watch cap and started shoveling the ramp. I had been at the job a few minutes when the neighbor from across the street came over carrying her snow shovel and soon we had the major part of the project done. Christine left but I stayed out and stayed out and dug my van and Dianne’s Audi of the snow. Shortly after I had gotten back in the house mark A called with an offer to come over and help me clear snow. I had not seen Mark in a couple of weeks so I had him come over and have him help me clear a little more snow and throw snow pellets on the drive way and ramp. If I had just waited Mark A would have come over and done the whole thing. But I glad I did what I did and got to know my across the street neighbor a little better.

I slept poorly through the night. We have a touch sensitive light system over our bed or reading and for one reason or another he lamps were going off about every ten minutes all night long, sleeping was horrid I missed my usual rising time at 4:3o and did not really make I up until 5:30—so I was way late and did not get out of the house until 7:00 about an hour later then usual which meant all kinds traffic add to the traffic that record snow fell yesterday and bull dozed few of the sidewalks I use were accessible. Huge ice flows have been pushed up over sidewalks, forcing me way out into the street. At this time in the morning traffic was brisk and deadly, I engaged sidewalks where I could, I was able to at least cross I-215, the “Bridge of Death” in the walk way. The snow had been removed partially and what was left was crusted and frozen hard. The ride was jarring but survivable. The snow was plowed so high at the end of the bridge that I got stuck. Luckily, I was highly visible, spinning there on the side of the road and soon two people had stopped their vehicles an were helping me rock myself free and soon I was on my way again. Again when I finally got downtown very little plowing had been done and I was at great risk getting to the office but I did and just about 40 minutes later then I usual. I can tell however, it’s going to be a rough week with sever cold and more snow forecast for the end of the week and the beginning of next, Oh! Oh! I almost forgot! As I was making my way to the train station this morning a truck pulled over and got out of his truck and handed me an orange Utah highway employees vest, a hyper visible garment street and highway construction crews for protection. He thrust it at me and a said, “hear I have two, wear this it will help make you more vise able. I immediately slipped the vest over my head and went on to catch my train.

No comments: