Friday, January 04, 2008

Face of Stone

A couple of months ago I was contacted by a grandpa pa who wanted me to find money to send his granddaughter to a camp for Cranial issues. His granddaughter suffers from Moibus syndrome, A cranial disfiguring process which is developmental in nature and does not allow the person with mobius syndrome to be able to reflect emotion as most folks do.

Once again folks, I am an operator only an operator. I am not a fund raiser nor am I a super hero but many, to my dismay, think that I am. You pull off one miracle and word travels an soon you can’t pick your phone without someone one wish for a miracle being on the other end. The grandpa called me about 6 months ago, which I appreciate, giving me quite a bit of lead time. Grandpa seems sincere regarding trying to send his granddaughter to a camp for kids having the same syndrome as his granddaughter. Maybe this is what sucked me into to the process, I don’t know, but now grandpa calls me every month or so to ask how I am coming along on the project. The call always takes me off guard and I am almost angry because he is expecting so much from me and fund raising is not my job. And as I write this I now realize that what makes me angry is that I feel I have failed because I have not been able to raise the money for this kid to go to camp. I have made a few calls in their behalf but have not “kicked up” anything up as yet. Probably the most productive thing I have done is council with Grandpa and give him some direction of where he might find some resources to help with the project. And sure enough he has visited with some folk in his church who sound like they might be able to help out as the time for camp gets closer. As much as I would like to think this church contact lets me “off the hook”. I am going to make a few more calls to different agencies and programs for people with disabilities and see what I come up with and put the touch on a few others if I get the chance but that is about all I am going to be able to do.

I did a fast run at lunch and stopped at Carl Jr’s for something. I have been toying with getting their “Green Burrito” for some time. The green burrito just sounds good. So today I decided I would take the chance and get it. I waited patiently in line and finally got to the counter and asked for the green burrito and then was asked “steak or chicken” I replied, “neither, I would like my Green Burrito with ground beef”.

“Sorry can’t do that.”

“Common you have burrito stuff and you have tons of hamburger just fry some up and put in the burrito.”

“Sorry, cannot do that, steak and chicken and that’s it.”

And so it went till I realized begging or arguing was futile and I ordered a fish sandwich and got out of there. Why is it so hard to get a little customer service?

No comments: