Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Bus Time

What a beautiful day—way too nice a to be cooped up inside at work. In fact I just got back from a meeting I had across town, way over on highland drive. I actually had another meeting written in my day-timer but when I was emailed about the meeting I did go to, I called the building where the meeting I thought I had and they reported there was note a room reserved so I figured I had made a mistake or read the email wrong.

I was really quite proud of myself as I rolled into the meeting, I had made the buses and the trip across town, I was on time and in pretty cod condition. Usually, I have to head , immediately, into the closest bathroom and make myself halfway presentable. I felt pretty good until I rolled into the room ad took my place beside my buddy Sauchin who announced I was going to have to move pretty damn fast if I was going to get to my assistive technology meeting of which I was supposed to be in charge. “Yeah right” I responded as I unwrapped my Crown Burger but I was haunted the conviction in Sauchin’s voice each time he asked if I was going to the meeting. Sure enough Sauchin was right, there WAS an A.T. meeting of which I was supposed to be in charge. The meeting was to go from 12:00 to 2:30 with the first 45 minutes usually taken up with lunch. I sighed to myself and noted that I showed I still had a full charge in my power chair. I would try to make a second meeting if I was lucky.

I charged out of the building down to the corner ad crossed the street to bus stop. I was encouraged when after a minute or two the 220 came rumbling down the road, I jumped on and really for a short moment thought I would be able to make my next meeting. I asked the driver which bus I would need to the Buffmire center and he told me. When I finally for down town I found the driver dropped me off a stop after the stop I needed and had to back track and the bus I did need was taking off as I came up to the stop. The saw me I know he saw me but I was left be hind. I knew the next bus would be atleast a half hour away. And the time was now ten minutes after 1:00—so even if the 517, the bus I needed, did come on time and it took me twenty minutes in travel time the meeting would be nearly over by the time I got to the Buffmire building. Then to top everything else off and possibly to make sure my decision my battery power indictor was madly flashing meaning I was in the “critical power” I was two Salt Lake blocks away from my office and I don’t know how far I would have to go after I got close to Buffmire and my meeting. I decided to “jet” the meeting.

I made it back to the office and immediately plugged and took calls the remainder of the afternoon. I hate jetting the meeting the day was just too nice.

No comments: