Saturday, August 22, 2020

Cali's Burning and the Joy's of Summer Food Bank

 



I am kind of getting back into my routine on Saturday mornings now that the food bank is open again. Our little food bank had to close for two weeks when somebody in the food bank tested positive for the virus. Because they were closed a kind of stopped going entirely it's funny how easy it is to get out of a habit sometimes. Anyway a couple weeks ago I stopped by and picked up a few things it was great and certainly rekindled my joy of getting my basket filled up at the food bank. Today was interesting in that as I was crossing the parking area to the food bank there were a number of fire engines and police vehicles in the park which is adjacent to our buildings. Look kind scary like possibly a crime scene or perhaps somebody had passed away and they found the body. Interest to note that the number of folks at the apartment complex has mentioned that more more homeless folks seem to be showing up in the park. Homeless folk tend to spend the night and do something else during the day only return at evening for the night sleep. There is a point earlier in the summer/spring when the bathrooms were closed or locked and I've heard rumor that it was done to foil the the homeless folk. It's sad how the folks of moved from downtown Salt Lake more and more south and westward. I really didn't quite believe it earlier but I've seen three old people sleeping out on the lawn during the day, the same old people to or three days in a row. The fire engines and law enforcement was still there when I left the food bank with my treasures of the week. I stopped and watched and took a couple images but that one on my way. Tonight listening to the news a major portion of local news and national news was California burning! The fires ranging in the northern end of the state are affecting our atmosphere here in Utah. Sadly, the firefighters are burning out (excuse the pun) and are requesting support from around in states. This fire engines and crews were checking out the fire engine. It seems Taylorsville will be sending a crew down to the California area to help fight the fires. There in the park this morning getting their units ready for the trip over to another California to assist with the fire suppression. I was glad to hear that would hate to think of bodies begin to pop up in the park next to where I live.


The best parts about this time of year is the fact that farmers markets begin to populate parking lots in various cities. The farmers market I used to attend was there and Murray Park. I could still make it to that farmers market relatively easy but I don't seem to have the energy primarily because FOOD BANK! A lot of the produce raised by local backyard farmers winds up donated to the food bank, tomatoes, cucumbers zucchinis especially. It's like real backyard produce versus the professional produce the try to stick you with at the farmers market. Giant truckloads of produce come from professional family farms out in the rural community. It's great produce but it's not what I envision a farmers market to be. So I don't need to go to the farmers market except for some of the exotic stuff like bread and so the other treats that tend to show up like cheese curds and other products from dairy families. Today I got plums, apples, cucumbers, zucchini squash (the right size). I got way more than I needed for a week but I will certainly enjoy what I did get and be thankful and show up again next week for another bounteous food bank…

No comments: