Thursday, February 02, 2006

Happy Birthday or Scream and Scream Again

Happy Birthday or Scream and Scream Again

The rains came last night. The cold miserable rain s of winter in transition-neither snow nor sleet sometimes a mixture buy cold and the wind cut like razors.  I took the umbrella, which had forever lived on top of the coat rack in our office. No one knows exactly where the umbrella came from just that it has always been there.  I had already gotten into my power chair and my plastic red slicker was in my back rack too much work to get everything out so, why not use the umbrella?  I really did not know how to open the stupid device. So I tried to shake the bumper shoot open.  I grasped the handle as best a quad can and flung the folded clutch of batwing away from me. In that second of miscalculation my shoulder was seized, a fiery tearing as something happened to my shoulder—I swear I heard a wet ripping.  I am sure I felt more the heard. I am sure it was my brain just felling in trauma.
I tried to move my left arm and way prevented by searing pain.  The evening was cold and rainy and I was seized with pain.  I managed on to the train. My left side immobilized. I sat stalwart, facing forward.  One passenger helped me lift my backpack to my lap since I could not with my gimp arm.  I slowly fished out my cell an called Dianne to let her know I was not going to e able to pick up the Chinese dinner I had promised as a early celebration since I have the Russians tomorrow evening. At my stop, another passenger opened the umbrella for me a I pathetically fiddled with the device as the train slid to a halt.

I was not crying but I felt like it. I was frightened; the fear of loosing what independence I enjoyed was terrifying. The wind whipped unmercifully.  I am always amazed at how much the city canyon brocks the wind.  Out in Murray the wind, while not gale force, was significant. My grip is minimal anyway but as the wind tugged at the open half shell of the umbrella, it pulled hard on my damaged side.  Toward the end of my travels the wind was actually pulling the umbrella inside out, now not only was I soaked in massive pain I looked like a cartoon.  I would actually have to stop and pound the umbrella on itself and turn it back the right way only to have the whole scene relive itself in a few more yards.

I finally did get home. Dianne got me her industrial  hair dryer so, I could start  warming up. She wanted to take me to the E.R. right then but I really wanted warm up, eat Chinese and watch Bones.  I as hoping the arm would cure itself and with the nights rest be useable.  Well, the arm is a bi better today but not much.  I am going to have to go in somewhere for some sort of medical attention..  Luckily, I was able to achieve al my major transfers independently.  I just have to be very careful how I use my arm.  I do no think I will be able to use my old shower so we may have to unpack the ‘roll-in”. Even that shower will be challenging.  I may even have to use, for the first time—attendant care services.  I will have to check my plan.
Happy Birthday to me.                                                                  

No comments: