Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Slumming On the Authority



I have this uncanny ability to waken when I tell myself that I want to waken, most of the time that is. Usually, I open my eyes right at 4:30 am the usual time I get get up. This allows me to Sand shower, dry, fix a bit of breakfast band dress and get out the door headed for the train optimally by 6:45 am getting me into my office 7:05 way early but still I am in and can get a jump on my day.

Today, I did not wake till 4:45 a m which scouts my whole morning back by 15 minutes. Long story short: my regular was pulling out by the time I was getting to the station. The temperature is cold 22 degrees and an old friend of mine waves to me as I pass his bus. He drives “State Street 22, North bound” and I used to ride his bus all the time when I worked another job. He sits there and “diesels” till all the passengers de-board the train and either board his vehicle or some other. I know the Route 22 willl drop me off exactly across the street from my office. So I figured what the heck I’ll ride in with Havili.

Havili is great! Havili is a South East Islander, Tongan to be more specific. Havili was huge and swift at one time. He came from the “Islands” thirty or so years ago to play football for the local, huge religion based university. Havili, played ball, he played his heart out. He played out his eligibility then slowly failed out of school. Havili is not a quitter though, he decided to stay on, stateside, at least he “schooled out” in the promised land. Who could want for anything more? Some where along the way wandered into the Transit Authority’s “human resources” office and went to work driving bus. Havili does not look older but he is aging. He has to get out of the driver’s seat when I get on the secure me to the bus. Havili does not really walk so much as hobble and shuffle. He looks like he is in pain. He is in pain not only physical but emotional. He has teenagers at home who are driving him crazy: meaning, insubordinate, and trouble with the law. Every day is a challenge just to go home and see what headache awaits you there. Havili will work out to his retirement and probably drop dead of a heart attack in six months. I hope not—Havili is truly a great guy. He is someone who deserves a break; someone who should enjoy his last days.

The ride in on the bus took almost 45 minutes to get to the office. I am amazed at he Social difference in transit customers bus VS train. I got in to the office right at 8:00—I am feeling a little behind but all in all I am glad for the opportunity to slum.

No comments: