Saturday, August 30, 2008

Eli’s Coming



Back in April of this year I posted Ely’s One Dollar Concert with a link to my You Tube page where I actually had a clip of Ely “sawing” out the national anthem on his cello or base fiddle or what ever one calls his instrument. I paid Ely a dollar for his efforts because I felt funny just ripping off this footage just because Ely was playing in a public space. I knew full well, Ely was playing away for money. I do not know whether his playing was for survival money, alcohol or drug money or maybe extra cash just tgo feel like he was human. Ely clearly has some sort of disability, could be some form of mental illness and some type of physical disability as well. I marveled the first time I saw Ely on that cold wet April afternoon dressed in his hobo clothes with gloves with fingers cut-off to let the fingers through so Ely could finger his instrument. There he was just playing away. Some who have seen the You Tube footage laughed and thought he was a clown. I gave him a dollar- I should have given more, but a dollar let my conscience off the hook.

I play at writing and have been round the block a couple of times, I have even had items published mainly because mainly I have been a little active with local artists groups and foundations who have published anthologies of writer’s with disabilities work. I happen to know the person charged with putting the document together ( editor) and I know she was kind of desperate to get any kind of content—believe me as someone who has be the editor of many newsletters I know how hard getting content can be even if you pay them. When ever a book would come out, Lori would always be sure I got a check usually $25.00 not much but I have to confess it felt good being recognized with money. So, I wonder if that is what drives Ely to “saddle up in the cold and rain” and carry his instrument to wherever he is going to “work” for the day.

I believe things happen for a reason, I don’t know why they just do. I was working away at my desk earlier in the week and I happened to look up out my window, and way cross the street I noticed a little man carrying a cello case. I briefly thought about Ely and the put the thought out of my mind and returned to work. Later in the week at lunch as I was riding the train round city at lunch looking for a place to eat I sat Ely again this time close enough I shouted his name and waved. Ely looked up quickly and looked round as one does when called to in public and not expecting to be recognized. I waved, and Ely saw me, and waved back I think almost as a reflex—Ely smiled distantly trying to recall if he should know me. I saw Ely again the next day dragging his instrument up the street.



I noticed he was wearing the same out fit I had seen each time this week, brown plaid short sleeved shirt, levis socks and shoes. His beard is trimmed and his hair much shorted then in April. Each time I see Ely I call out and wave for I am truly excited to see the man. I want to know Ely, I want to ask him a zillion questions, “ why does he do what he doe, does he make any money, does he know any other pieces besides the National anthem”? I want to know Ely before he becomes a famous downtown icon and lifted out of my reach. I don’t know how to do this except wave and shout his name each time I see Ely.

BTW the reason I started seeing Ely in the vicinity of my office is the USANA Health Sciences is in town holding their annual, international convention just down the street and I am sure the Energy Solutions Arena is where is where I have seen Ely coming and going to. Ely’s play the Arena. Go Ely!!!

No comments: