Monday, August 04, 2008

Revolution

State government started a new program today: the four-day work week, four ten one hour days. I am totally excited. When I first went to work for the state, in this position, this was a ten-hour a day position, four days a week. In fact the four ten work week was one of the major factors which drove my decision to take the position when the job opened up. I was mightily discouraged when the new boss ended my run of three day weekends. I accepted the change and returned to the traditional five-8’s knowing that if I lasted long enough with the State I would somehow get to go back to the schedule I loved.

It’s a little bit different now with major parts of the state starting work at 7:00, then it was seven years ago. Before when we opened the office we had the whole office to our selves before the rest of the staff filtered in and we sent them away at the end of the day leaving a half hour after everyone else. Back in those days I drove my van into work every day so I had more control over how late I could leave for work and be to work at the proscribed time. Now I am under the tyranny of public transit which means I must leave the house by a specific time to catch a specific train to get me to my office at the time needed to start my job.

Just for the fun of it, I called around some of my colleagues and friends who work for the State and guess what? No on was there. What a shock. The office is quiet now, Bonnie the new hire, just let for the day and I am alone in the office. I still have thirty minutes to go and the afternoon sun is slipping quickly,into my window and into my eyes, making seeing the computer screen difficult. I doubt that I can write much longer. I enjoy being back on my old schedule. Actually, I never left the old schedule. I continued to come in to work by seven o clock even if I was not able to count the hour—now I an and I will be gone on Fridays.

Life is a revolution

No comments: