Monday, August 18, 2008

Happy Together




I have to admit I have kinds enjoyed spending my Summer vacation with my grand daughter, Anakah. We have been providing some of her daycare all summer. Dianne has been picking Ani up after swimming class or Gabe would drop Ani off at the house. So on days that I have had off during the week, most notable my vacations days of Wednesdays this August, I have been taking her out, to begin with to give Dianne a break or a chance to get a little more sleep. We have been either going to Beans and Brew, up on our corner Starbucks. And last week I really shot my self in the foot and agreed to take Ani to the Mall for lunch.

The point is that I have began really enjoying the time we are pending together, even the hideous moments in the Mall where I could not go an inch without being “strong-armed” into buying something or the kid. I never did and I think she did not think for a second that I would but still we played the game.

I taught Ani how to “buy” dollars” with change. Ani would show up at the house ready to go “buy” coffee with a purse full of change where she liberated this change from, I don’t know, nor do I wish to know. But one morning she wanted to trade me four quarters for a dollar bill and I told to take it to the cashier who be happy to change paper for silver all day long. Ani was amazed but learned fast and now changes out her silver as fast as she can and often is packing six or seven dollar bills. Ani has gone with me to the credit union to cash checks and get the loan for the repair on my van—she had detailed regarding my loan status and the loan guy, Michael, fell in “love” with Anakah which is a big reason IO got my loan. Ani also charmed Scotty, my mechanic cousin, when we picked up my van last Friday.

We’re an item now, Ani on my lap as we motor through the neighborhood, going where ever we go on the days when grandpa is home from work. I have learned that Ani really enjoys doing gardening. She has helped me a lot chopping weeds out of our flowers in the front yard. I don’t know why but I was a bit surprised. She says she likes to garden because her dad gardens. People in the neighborhood and the local stores getting used to us. They think we’re cute. I see it in they eyes of the girl who work at the coffee shops or at Arbys where we are becoming regulars, against my better judgment, getting one “five for five” and a water or over at the KFC where Ani always orders the Chicken Nugget kid meal, in the computer(lap top) box. Anakah likes money(literally) way more then I would like her to but in some respects it’s all she has got and I guess I can understand this.

So we are the “mutt and jeff” couple of the neighborhood. People see us but don’t really know too much about us except that we are always there, wearing our hats, she on my his lap and he in his power chair-- who knows where…together.

No comments: