Monday, March 28, 2016

Loving Larry

Tears from the 12th floor...

I'm beginning my last week here on the 12th floor I believe. There is a white board underneath my TV screen that says quote looking at 4/15/16 - 4/18/16 for length of stay. This of course is next week I don't know if it's one day or if it's all the days for next week or something in between. Regardless, my days here are numbered that's fine with me. Regardless, I am kind of anxious to get back to the house and begin living life again. I have to admit I'm a little spooked about living life on the outside. Oh I don't think I have really any reservations significantly about living life on the outside oh I don't think I have really any reservations significantly about living life on the outside but there is something there makes me a little anxious. I am excited about taking the skills I've picked up here in a few weeks I have been at IMC and adapting them to living more independently at home
I
Last night I was visiting with one of  my old friends who was is a para . I've known this guy for almost 20 years we've been through a lot together. its not like we are best friends or anything like that in fact I am somewhat impressed that he spends any time with me at all . His name is Larry and we work at the same operation for a while end socialized after that off and on. I've always been impressed with his vast knowledge of Music, art and all kinds of things that I don't even know anything about. He's a man of the world live life with gusto and continues to stay alive Against All Odds. That's really impressive is that of all the people I know are who know me he is only one of two that have taken the time to come up to see me since this has been happening to me. Not that I really care a whole hell of a lot it's just interesting. I doubt it any kind of divine intervention that sent Larry up here but his visit has sure helped me and putting my life in perspective.

Larry has lived an extremely rough life by my standards. After a spinal cord injury which left him a paraplegic he's got involved quite heavily in Wheelchair Sports everything from downhill skiing , competitive basketball and tennis. Larry has done his share of camping as well. He has really pushed himself or his body. The result has been some but devastating his body is beginning to fall apart literally. I thought I had it bad with two stenosis but Larry's literally been drug the ringer. Pressure sores , bladder issues , shoulders and even legs have kept him in the hospital for months decubitus or pressure sores so bad that for nearly a year he had to stay in bed 20 hours of the day. That would literally drive me crazy , push me over the edge. But Larry keeps on going. He's nursing his body back to life and takes time every once in awhile, when he thinks he can afford it, and playes a game of tennis, take in a play, or have a decent meal out. Larry is one cool dude who never ceases to amaze me.

I just hope that when my body gets as bad as Larry's that I keep having an attitude as good as Larry's.

No comments: