Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Yes I Can

Tears From the 12 Floor.

Luckily today was not a cheerful day but I like the title so much I think I'm going to keep it for a couple of days. I was not sure how I would function today because I don't remember sleeping a whole lot last night. But I was able to get through the day quite nicely in fact I made quite a hit during this afternoon mat class physical therapy session. I was a little uneasy because I had to cut the middle of the class to go back to my room to pee. Took longer than I anticipated and I did not dream as much as I would have liked but I got back and soon I was on the mat doing all kinds of mat stuff.

No, I like the mat the ability to really move outside of my chair. I like to roll around I like to do the push up things like to just be able to exercise without limitations and the boundaries of a wheelchair. I spent a good part of my life well when I was younger on the mats either as wrestler, tumbler/ gymnastor just goofing n the front yard on fresh mown grass in those wonderful warm nights of summer. Working out on the mat is one of the big things I miss about being disabled. So whenever I get a chance to get on the mat and do some running around I take it.

 So this afternoon I was pleased 2 transfer from the chair onto the mat. I did a little stretching but not much just taking the direction from my physical therapist. It was after some working around and doing some stretching on the side she asked me to try to push myself up from the stomach or down position just to see if I could. Well I knew that I could I mean I haven't done that particular maneuver pushing myself up to a kneeling position in quite some time but I knew I could do it I knew I had the musculature to do it. Then so I proceeded to do it and push myself up and all the sudden everybody was astounded I could not believe it. I have to admit it did take some challenging muscle work on my part but you know I expect that it's been a long time but expect everyone to go all Goofy on me. That's what they did I have to have it for a short time I was the star of the gymnasium and it felt pretty good. I think my doc, had he been around, would have even been impressed. I was pleased because does my bladder we had had a shortened physical therapy session but I've been able to pull a rabbit out of the Hat and with my push ups saved my day not that it was in jeopardy.

So today was not a cheerful day in fact it ended on a high note Bridget stop by to visit for a little bit before she had to pick up Gabriel. We had a short visit and she was on our way into the storm of snow which had begun to fall.

No comments: