Thursday, January 05, 2006

I have the Russians Tonight



I have the Russians tonight! This is my long day I probably will not get home till after nine PM.  I really do like this assignment everything about it except for the time the meeting starts: 7:00 pm.  The time just drives me crazy like biting on aluminum. I am off work at 5:00 like everyone else and I have to figure out something to do for two hours until my meeting starts.  I guess I could wonder round a mall or shopping center somewhere, even hang at the food courts. This is just time killing and drives me crazy.  I might be lucky enough to find a movie with just the right timing that would let me enjoy the movie and still get to my 7:00 pm. Even, if the meeting was just an hour earlier, 6:00pm, this could make all the difference. You can spend a few minutes after work, then just zoom over to the meeting.  I have even brought up the issue at the meetings but no one seems to be able understand the request—maybe I had better work on my Russian ( that was a joke).   I know, if I dislike this position so much I should just quit especially since the position is not a paid position except I can use the hours as work hours.  Like tonight will allow me to take off a couple of hours early tomorrow.  I also like my association with the people and the Eastern European influence these folks represent. These folks really give me a fresh view of my Americanism.  These folks lived beneath the Soviet boot when it existed. They know and understand freedom and appreciate this freedom. I must admit that sometimes I take my heritage for granted but seeing people take to this freedom is quite moving sometimes.  I must admit also I like the recognition I get for being part of a group like the Sister City program from my peers and other folk min the community.  I just dislike the time. Hey, you know what ? I don’t feel quite so bad having to wait for the meeting tonight. Maybe just writing this through has seemed to help me accept my plight. This is cool Am I just too weak or what.

Maybe I’ll go grocery shopping.

My work mate just popped in to inform me that over lunch she is going down to apply for a part time job at H&R Block answering phones.  She would do this after work.  Her mom is doing this and can get my workmate in fairly easy.  I might have to consider a part-time position and this kind of position would meet my needs. I realize it would not completely meet my financial needs but it could not hurt either.  I think the hours would be about four hours after my regular job and maybe at least one 8 hour shift on the weekend. I could do this once I got conditioned to the length of these work days.  I could do this.

No comments: