Tuesday, January 24, 2006

IM GOING T0O PHILLY


I’M GOING T0O PHILLY!

Specialized Workshop on “Enhancing an Existing Web-based System for AT Device Exchange “Classifieds” Program”
February 27-28, 2006
Marriott Philadelphia Downtown, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Taken from Email about the workshop.

I got the call this morning that my flight and arrangements were booked for the above conference. It’s been a while since I was on a real trip and I am kinda of looking forward to this one. The last couple of trip I have been on have been mini-disasters. I have been placed in either hotels which were not accessible or the “accessible” room I was in was only marginally accessible and left me in dangerous situation. One place—in Washington DC I was stranded on the side of the bathtub for three hours because I could not make the transfer to my wheelchair. The floor was wet and each time I tried to make the transfer the chair would slip and I would nearly fall on the floor. I finally DID make the transfer but the event was really freaky. Another time I had the same problem when trying to transfer from my chair to the bed I again ended up, perched on the edge almost slipping off and down to the floor. The reality is, the reality I must face is that I (Mr. tough quad. I am getting older, I am getting weaker and I just cannot do the things I used to.) One of those things is traveling independently. I hate to admit this, but, alas it’s true. So, first time ever I will be traveling with an attendant!

So, Dianne is flying east with me as my attendant. I am amazed I just asked for an attendant and got it. I thought maybe because Dianne was my wife this would be an issue but nope. They just said OK and enjoy the flight. I am also planning to use my power wheelchair too. This should give me tons of freedom to explore Philly. This is only a workshop and not a conference. I think the only free time I will have is the evening of the first day. Actually we are leaving mid-morning the day before the conference starts so we should have a little time that evening as well. Dianne can go out exploring a little during the day. I think this might actually be fun. I cannot believe I said that. Did I just jinx the whole event?

No comments: