Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Council






Its Council meeting today not whole lot gets done on Council meeting. Luckily , for me, I don’t have a lot of direct involvement, I don’t have to sit in the meeting which can be up to four hours in length or mingle with the participants. But I do assist with covering phone for the Council since our receptionist is also staff to the council meaning she has to be in the meeting, all meeting. So I am saddled with the regular calls my office gets during the day plus the back up calls the Council staff might get during the day as well.

The Council maintains a number of committees made up of Council members and I of course staff one of these committees meaning I have t talk notes , type them up and make sure committee members get them following the meeting. As I said I staff the Transportation committee. The Transportation committee is committed to assisting the local pubic transit system to better serve folks with disabilities in Utah and specifically Salt Lake. The meeting usually follows Council which means its members are usually burned out but usually generates three pages of hand written notes. The most redeeming value of these meeting is they are catered and usually really good and staff always gets to eat and so I eat.

So not a lot is getting done today, Council day. Even after the meeting is over there are always stragglers who tend to yammer on endlessly. Tables need to be cleaned and folded and chairs put away and some dishes done. The boss is relaxed and glad the meeting is over for the month and rehashes he meeting with different members of the staff and of course since everyone worked through lunch a lot of the staff leave round four—not me. am hear for the count. I must cover my phones until the end. In the old days when I had two full time staff I usually left at four and got home early. But not now. Now I just blog out the clock.

No comments: