Monday, June 04, 2012

Train Ride



Last Thursday, I was ready for work, dressed and ready to go by 6 AM so I figured. At Starbucks grab some coffee and then jump nearly bus into the train station and you jump my day. Morning was perfect, warm breeze, was a clear and above normal temperatures for the afternoon a perfect spring day.

I had just settled in to my usual spot on the train turned on my Tab and was planning to read following to the Planetarium stop. As many great plans are foiled by the small things of this world so that this plan of mine at the next train stop when a mother with a stroller two small children in tow entered the train off the mini—high block ramp. So of course the little family settled down right across the aisle from me. The oldest child is a boy named Jeffrey who seemed pretty well mannered then there is Alexi was totally out of control, five years old for will be on report and district for any attention possible the third child was a babe in arms that I never did get the name of that made no difference. It seemed Alexi's favorite expression was”shut up”screen at the top of her small voice of voice shrill and brittle as glass. Jeffrey tried to stay a good boy as long as he could the but kept getting baited by Alexi… The mother seemed totally removed from the situation get involved only when the Alexi would would get so much out of control that the neighboring transit passengers would begin interfering with her children. The mom, who will call Maria, seemed and a couple enough talk about her life with folks on the train. There was an ancient couple sitting on the other side of the aisle, this couple were senior missionaries for the Mormon church who of course smiled benignly. Now the sister missionary sitting next to the window I think knew what was going on just kept staring out the window as your world washed by but her husband was another question. Whether he truly was a grandfatherly type or felt he was just doing what service missionaries did try to engage Alexi and her mother and conversation and smiles. As I said his wife stayed a little longer she could but the good brother soon had his arms full of both Jeffrey and Alexi and a mother forthcoming with all kinds of information which included she was indeed pregnant now and her husband was deployed by the military. What was interesting, was that the husband should have been home the week before but did not have enough money for the plane trip home so would have to wait to the next month. Now the mother also reported that the husband was a major in the US Armed Forces which means he actually makes a great deal of money all things considered so there's more to the story than we're hearing. Was interesting was the mother, with children in tow, was on her way to drop the kids off at daycare as she was on her first day of employment at Deseret Industries, training facility for low-income earners.

Thing one and Thing 2 were riding to the stop beyond mine and I was so thankful to disembark the train I reached the planetarium. He tried to put the morning-hell out of my mind as long as soon as I could. You cannot believe my chagrin at boarding the train on my homebound trip that might there they were Thing one and Thing two, baby sister pregnant mother luckily the day had worn Alexi down quite a bit, she was near sleep which I took as a perk.

No comments: