Monday, June 11, 2012

Ahhh,Perchance To Dream


They say a race of giants were on the earth before the great flood they called these giants Gibborim. I would like to have seen these guys I would like to known just how big these giants were. Be that as it may I still believe giants roam the earth and every once in a while I am fortunate enough to sit beside one in my day-to-day life. One such giant in my life is a guy named Mr. Riggle-- Mr. Riggle, of course has a first name but that's not important at least not to me. Mr. Riggle is a person with a severe disability, college graduate and an employee of a local private nonprofit agency. Salt Lake that provides quasi-legal services for people with disabilities. Mr. Riggle is a policy wonk, this guy eats drinks and sleeps policy on every level. I think he's brilliant the Utah treasure sorry to say I think I am one of the few people who recognizes that he is the treasure he is.

I've known Mr. Riggle for five years now maybe a little longer I first ran into him I think on the train. I think he was kind of drifting at the time, kid gotten his degree and was out bounced around the community trying to find work or better yet trying to find someone who would hire him in a real-life job. I doubt I had anything to do with the the like to think that I did, I did speak to a few folks here and there. I noticed soon after Mr. Riggle begin to show up at some of the state Council and Board meetings that I was attending. For as I tended to show up to these meetings to sample whatever lunch stuffs were available Mr. Riggle jumped in to any and all discussions with gusto, intelligence and the focus to accomplish a goal, his goal. I don't know why from the onset we addressed each other by our surnames Mr. Smith and Mr. Riggle it just seemed right. Mr. Riggle has cerebral palsy which is pretty involved, please is a power chair from ability, pretty fast chair that. I'm pretty sure he has attended care who dresses him give be very difficult, for instance, for Mr. Riggle to put on or take off his own jacket which means he never wears a coat. Whereas I dress my huge white coat once the temperature drops Mr. Riggle never wears a coat are hardly ever. I see that subzero outside my window snow on the ground or snow flying and the lookup and see Mr. Riggle' zip past my window going to meeting in my building. Here we are on many of the same committee still and often ride the same buses are trains to these meetings. Me in my great height jacket and Mr. Riggle at most in the longsleeved shirt. Fortunately, Mr. Riggle is quite fluent speech and often speaks to different and specific pieces of legislation during the legislative season. Like I said the guys brilliant.

Mr. Riggle should be here in Salt Lake city, bouncing around the private nonprofit arena basically working for peanuts. Mr. Riggle should be working out of some senators office or Congressman's office help them develop and define legislation for people with disabilities and the systems that serve people with disabilities or he should be in some hotshot national phyz-diz private nonprofit agency or lobby bring about the same results changing influencing legislation to best serve people with disabilities. He should be getting big gun money for what he does but he doesn't and he probably never well and that sucks. The reason I bring all this up is that you today is on the train and Mr. Riggle boards and we settle indoor you discussion about this and that and some how the ideas of dreams come up and I make statement like “the tragedy of my life is the system robbed me of my ability to dream”. Mr. Riggle looked at me and shook his head and grinned," come on Mr. Smith, that's all I have is the ability to dream". And once again, I am put in my place by a member of the younger legions. I have so much, even my worst days, I can do so much I better get off the Crapper and start dreaming again , that's all we've got is our dreams... Thanks Mr. Riggle I knew that.

No comments: