Saturday, November 23, 2013

Just Remebering



Notice the leg in this image, on my right leg...

Following my accident, hospitalization, and physical therapy I returned home and began the slow process of living in my new life with a disability. I don't remember being too frustrated about the whole disability thing. I think I was too close trying to survive this cataclysmic event in my life. Each day I would get up, do my bathroom routine which included showering transferring out of the shower back into my chair, then into my bedroom where the first thing I did was dry off my penis and mess around with it enough to get as much an erection as I could so I could apply skin glue to the penis and then roll the external catheter onto my penis squeeze out as much air between the phallus and the rubber because the seal created would be my first line of defense against leakage of piss when I urinated. After the skin glue and application of the rubber two strips of tape were applied round the shaft of the partially erect penis, hopefully securing the seal. This external catheter, which was pretty much a rubber attached to a clear plastic tube which was connected to a leg bag which I would then attach to my leg with rubber straps. I wish I had images of this but in those days that would've been forbidden but graphic nonetheless and a great example of this whole process.

I did this routine roughly for the next 40 some years until I begin have an old guy issues with my prostate and urinary problems. I just couldn't piss. There were visits to my primary medical person who in turn referred me to the dreaded urologist! I had done excellent in the 40 some years past life trauma to avoid his personal cost. Once I remember right after I had gotten to rehabilitation they removed the indwelling catheter I had from the hospital which I remember house in great pain. There was such great pain, or I thought that was such a pain I would not even consider the medical profession sticking a piece of plastic of my urethra and then inflating a balloon so the thing would not come out. Again, it seems they tried anyway but I crashed and thrashed so much they all backed away and came back with the idea of a Texas catheter or external Catheter. I was amazed and blown away when once again I was introduced to catheterization, this time intermittent catheterization meaning you catheterize yourself. I braced myself for the huge wave of pain I knew was coming as they brought the lubed catheter to my exposed penis and slowly thrust plastic and inside and pushed the catheter up my urethra. There was no pain in fact there was great relief as the inner pressure of the bladder immediately receded I dream about 800ml, probably the first time in decades my bladder had been trained as it should have. There was no pain just relief and a major page was turned in my life story.


I can't believe how long I played the game of gluing my penis every morning to latex prophylactic and peeing into a bag, granted concept of self catheterization had not yet been developed, and I think I was too active to try to survive with an indwelling catheter. Still I wish someone had stopped me along the way and at least introduced me to the concept of self catheterization… I wonder how my life would have changed.
Just a note, this is not what I started out intending to write about, it just sort of came out.

No comments: